Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 22nd, 2011 11:00

Win 7 64 Bit Network Printing

Hoping some of the experts here can help me solve the problem I am having.

Apologies if this has already been answered but I have searched on the forum here and my problem is slightly different in that all computers are using the same OS. The other posts seem to be for networking printing between Vista and Win 7.

My set-up is that I have a desktop PC (Dell XPS 9100) with Win 7 Home 64BIt OS which has a USB printer attached to it (HP Deskjet F4480). It works fine when printing anything from the desktop.  However I want to have two laptops (XPS M1530) both with Win 7 Home 64 BIT OS to print to teh same printer.

The laptops are connected through a wireless network.

Both laptops used to print fine until last week when I reformatted and reinstalled OS on the desktop PC.

After reformatting I installed the printer on the desktop PC and is working fine. In addition I removed the printer from teh two laptops and re added teh printer using the 'Add Printer' function. I had no problem adding the printer.  I searched for 'Network Printer' and it showed up. When I added it the drivers were also installed and it shows up in the two laptop's Control Panel as default printer.

I have made sure printer sharing is on in all computers.

When I try and print anything from any of the laptops it shows as if it has been sent to the printer. However nothing prints.

When I submit a print, the "whats printing" window shows the document but it says Spooling. It stays there for a few minutes and disappears. No error messages are given.

I have also stopped and restarted the spooling service.

All computers have unique names and are all on the same network/homegroup. Printer sharing is turned on.

It has to be noted that everything was working fine with the same set-up before I reformatted. Must be some setting I have not done correctly.

Any help is greatly appreciated and apologies if this has already been answered.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2011 19:00

Jayca1,

What virus protection and firewall are you using. These usually block printer communications.

Try reading...

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog)

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Rick

114 Posts

June 23rd, 2011 08:00

One more thing.. Maybe an important piece of info...

When I use the Add Printer Wizard--- Network Printer.. It finds the printer and installs.. but like I mentioned.. does not print.

However when I tried last night to  Add Printer --- Local Printer and try Local Port with \\MyLaptop\Printer... It says Access Denied.

Maybe this is a clue ?

I did check and the printer does show as shared on all computers.

114 Posts

Thanks Rick..  I will remove the printer from all computers tonight and start over. Will update here once done.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Jayca1,

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials

Make sure all the computers are in the same workgroup. You might want to change this, since the workgroup migh be using the old settings.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Jayca1,

I would check the firewalls on all computers. Also read THIS THREAD

You may have to remove the printer from all the computers and start new, since the hosting computer was reformatted, the settings will probably not work

Rick

114 Posts

Hi Rick..

Thanks .. I have read the links you quoted above and tried it all.. Did not work.

Also.. I am not using virus protection/firewall. Only using the built in Windows firewall and MS Essentials.

114 Posts

June 24th, 2011 06:00

OK... Did what Rick suggested...

Removed printer from all computers by going to Remove Printer in Control Panel. Then uninstalled everything related to the printer and HP in the Add/Remove Program window.

Rebooted. Then installed printer to host and then to laptops.

For some reason it is working now... No idea what went wrong the first time but I did exactly the same thing this time and can now print from all computers..

In any case thanks for your help Rick !! Appreciate it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2011 21:00

Jayca1,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. I was thinking it was looking for the old network that no longer existed and needed reinstalled because of this.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!