Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2011 12:00

Windows7 TCP/IP dhcp initialization failures

All, transferring from the desktop forum, apologies for cluttering up the world here,

I'm currently at a loss.  My Windows7 systems (optiplex, various models) are failing to log in to my TCP/IP Novell network.  They report that they can't find the tree.  And they can't find anything since there is no IP address from the dhcp (a non-Windows dhcp provider) side of the tracks.

What is happening is that once an address is not provided, the onboard Broadcom NIC is DISABLED. I can go into device manager and enable the NIC, then I can manually log in and things are fine, until the next reboot.

These systems are in classrooms and labs, and are frozeand automatically log in to keep students from monkeying with them.  Every morning, they are returned to their former condition.  When they wake up each morning, some days the NIC and dhcp processes and network login work fine, some days they do not (it's about a 50-50 shot whether they'll work or not),

Giving a static address to the desk top in my test world works, but that is not an option here.   Somehow the dhcp process on the clients need to work every day, every time.

Updated the Broadcom driver,  checked the power management settings for the NIC, turned off the firewall, even disabled the deep freezing on my test systems. 

At this point, any ideas would be welcomed, I'm all out.

thanks,

Loren Carter, Montgomery College

Rick,

My connection problems are all wired in classrooms and labs on campus. My settings in CPanel are the same as yours. 

I've read of Win7 and Vista not liking other than Windows dhcp providers, but that's out of my hands here. After all dhcp is dhcp, it really ought not to matter.

Loren

No, Windows7 clients are attempting to log in to a Novell Netare/OES2 eDirectory tree, and that initial connection fails since the Win7 client is not getting an IP address.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Loren Carter,

Additional information.

Some Colleges use Mac Address filtering. Is your Mac Address registered with the IT Department?

Also some virus programs and firewalls block communications.

Rick

Rick,,

In my sandbox (3 systems), there's no AV program installed, and I've disabled the firewall for exactly those reasons.  After I can get it to work reliably, I'll piece them back into the picture.

Loren

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Loren,

Dell has a NEW Dell Tech Center Forum. Maybe someone can help you better there.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Loren,

I think I understand what you're saying. I haven't really got in to networking a large group of systems.

Since Windows 7 is involved, maybe this article will help. Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Or How to Network with HomeGroup in Windows 7

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Loren Carter,

This may help...

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Start, control panel, network and sharing center, click on the connection, properties. Look for TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 and click on properties. Make sure the settings match mine

Do you know which wireless adapters are involved? In device manager, network, your wireless adapter, double click on it, then click advanced. Look and see if the adapter has antenna diversity(some adapters have this and some don't) On the ones that have this, try changing the Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux.

Rick

No Events found!