Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2009 01:00

Wireless Adapter 3300

Hi.

I'm running vista on a Dell Latitude D620 laptop, attached to a Dell AIO926 printer via the 3300 wireless adapter. 

All worked fine until about a week ago.  Maybe some udpate messed it all up?

Anyway, now when I log on, I get a message saying that Windows has stopped the printer communication software to protect my computer, which is all very well and good of it, but I'd quite like it to leave it running...!

I've tried to add it to the list of executables that data execution will leave alone, but can't find the name of the exe file to add it! 

Any ideas?  (Bearing in mind that I'm not incredibly techy...!)

Thanks

Chloe

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 30th, 2009 06:00

Chloe,

I usually see these things happen when people allow Microsoft to update their drivers. Please follow the instructions to un-install the printer and then re-install it, then let me know what happens.

I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router.

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit drivers

All other drivers

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

3300 Utility

3300 Firmware

Attach the 3300 to your computer using the USB Cable and insert the 3300 disk. Follow the instructions. It should ask you for the network ID, type of security and password.

Install the proper drivers, choose network. you should see the printer, click add, choose I'm using a wireless print server and follow the instructions. You should be able to print, scan, copy, etc.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Rick

3 Posts

July 30th, 2009 08:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've downloaded and run the patch (actually several times now!) and reinstalled the printer. 

However, when I then run the setup.exe from the Abbyy folder, it uninstalls something or other (Fine reader or somesuch?) and then nothing works again...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 30th, 2009 10:00

Cokeyrider,

Click start, all programs, Abbyy Fine Reader. Open the program and register it. You should get a download to update it. This reader, or an OCR Program, is needed ONLY to scan to Word, Works, etc... If you do NOT scan to those programs, then don't install it. It will still scan pictures with no problems.

Rick

No Events found!