Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2016 08:00

Wireless Connection but no Internet

Hello,

I am having trouble with a family member's internet connection.  My computer is connected to the internet just fine even after updating to Windows 10.

The other computer had a malware where the family member unknowingly updated a bogus Windows 10 upgrade and it stopped internet connection.   So we took it to Staples.  It had a watermark that showed it was bogus Windows 10. So they reinstalled the Windows 10 and cleaned it up, but the internet does not connect.  It has a good wireless connection just no internet. Staples said it connected fine in their store.

I used a different modem, and it connects to mine just well just not the other computer.  I have tried reading around trying different options, but nothing works at all.  I have tried comparing settings and setting it up similarly but nothing.  The IPv 6 or 4 whatever that is, is set to obtain address automatically.  I have tried disconnecting the modem but it doesn't work.  It cannot be the problem because it works on mine. I have tried disabling Norton.  I am afraid to uninstall anything since there is no internet in that computer.

I just don't know or understand what else to do but take it again to the store.  My computer's older and I have not had an issue.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

September 8th, 2016 19:00

Hi Heavenlycream,

What Dell Model is the system, and since the store did the re-install do all of the drivers look like they're installed in the Device Manager? I know this might be something you checked already but I thought it might be something easy too look at. I know you mention the store did an install of Windows 10, but do you know if it was a complete format/install (clean install)? The reason I was asking is because I was wondering if they missed something related to the malware that was on the system. 

When you state "the system has a good wireless connection" do you mean that it connects to the wireless access point/router and obtains an IP address but it does not allow you to surf the Internet (via browser)? Assuming it does connect, can you check via command prompt if the system is obtaining an IP address (this can be accessed by typing cmd into the search bar on the Windows taskbar, you might have to click on the icon to load it). Once the command prompt loads type in ipconfig and then press enter to see if the system shows an IP address. If it does show something like 192.xxx.xxx.xxx (or some number other than 169.) type in ping dell.com (or any web address), and see if packets are sent/rec'd instead of just showing timed out. 

One last question, what browser are you using?

- Brad  

September 10th, 2016 21:00

The laptop s a Dell Vostro 2520 only a 2 or 3 years old. 

I am not so sure if all of the drivers were installed into the Device Manager.   I don't know how to tell that. I know I see drivers, but I have no knowledge how to do so.

Yes, Staples reinstalled because it had to be cleaned out due to the bogus and reset the computer.  I am not happy that they want to charge you to come to the house and try to figure it out.  We took it because the internet was not connecting and thought Windows 10 had an issue but we discovered it was a malware.  Still we wanted internet connection.  Because it connects in their store, they say it's fine, but to charge us for house visit is ridiculous.  They will not charge if problem cannot be found but we are on a tight budget and cannot spend more than 100 dollars to have someone come in.

Yes, the wireless shows it is connected but it shows no internet. It shows a strong signal but it has a triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

I think I showed an IP. I need to check that option again when I get to the other computer.

Since it was reinstalled, there is IE and Microsoft Edge which I did not use much.   I had other browsers Firefox and Chrome also before the re installation but since there is no internet I cannot download.

September 11th, 2016 21:00

Hi I did the command prompt and did obtain an IP 192

When I typed ping dell.com it said "ping request could not find host dell.com Please check the name and try again."

Please help.  Do you think it's right of Staples to charge us more for going off site if they could not fix internet issue in their store?  I don't like that they upsell you on everything.  It wasn't fixed and it bothers me to be charged extra.

September 12th, 2016 16:00

Okay, yesterday when I turned the computer on.  There was still no internet connection but then after a bit I looked back and saw there was internet connection.  The triangle with the exclamation mark goes away is how I know and I did go on the browser and was able to do things.  I turned it off but no internet today.

I don't know if I mentioned before that there was internet connection for a bit last week but it was gone in a few minutes. 

Anyone know what's going on? Anyway I can get response?  Please and thank you.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

September 13th, 2016 12:00

Hi Heavenlycream,

Thanks for the updates. I am sending you an email from my Dell Account requesting the Service Tag (there should be a sticker on the bottom of the system with this). Please respond with it in email vs posting it here. Once I have the Service Tag I can look into this further.

Best regards,

Brad 

No Events found!