Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2009 16:00

Wireless USB adapter

Would the Linksys WUSB54G 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter be compatible with the Dell XPS 630?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 29th, 2009 17:00

Hi, diabolon:

Since you have a desktop, a PCI wireless card would be recommended. Here's a list of PCI wireless cards available from Newegg (if you're in the US). There are advantages to having a card from the same manufacturer as your wireless router.

2 Posts

So, are you saying that a USB adapter is too risky?

13 Posts

Hi,

You should not have any problem. You can use it. It does not make any difference whether you use a min-card or external wireless USB adapter.

Cheers,

geniuspro

4.6K Posts

January 30th, 2009 16:00

So, are you saying that a USB adapter is too risky?

No.  It's simply being suggested, that using a wireless PCI card is usually a better option for desktop systems than a USB adapter - which are more commonly used for laptops :emotion-55:

But use a USB adapter if you want to, by all means. 

Whilst Linksys make great products (my own wireless N router, and the wireless N PCI cards in my PC's, are Linksys products), it's always advisable (if possible) to get one made by the same manufacturer as your router (as also suggested) :emotion-5:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 31st, 2009 04:00

"Risky" isn't the term I would use, but a PCI card should provide a more stable situation.

149 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 20:00

Check with the usb card maker that it's compatible with your operating system.  It sounds odd but I purchased a Belkin N+ wireless usb network adapter and the support people tell me it's not compatible with Vista64?

Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support.

We understand your concern. We are sorry to state that the Belkin F5D8055 is not compatible with windows vista 64 bit operating sytem. However the router is compatible with windows Vista 64bit operating system.

6.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 10:00

Check with the usb card maker that it's compatible with your operating system.  It sounds odd but I purchased a Belkin N+ wireless usb network adapter and the support people tell me it's not compatible with Vista64?

I suspect that it is the driver that is incompatible; I have Belkin FD7000 PCI wireless adapters in my Dimension 2400s, my E520, and XPS 410, but all are using 32 bit Windows XP.  The driver for this particular card doesn't like Vista 32 bit, nevermind Vista 64!

No Events found!