Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2011 22:00

Wireless card seems slow on my XPS 14z

I just got a XPS 14z.  The wireless signal isn't consistant and it is weaker than my old XPS 1330.  It's actually painfully slow.  Every thing is exactlly the same.  I have my old computer next to the new computer and the wireless signal is working much better on the old computer.  Pages are loading more quickly on the older model.  Is anyone else having problems with how their wireless is performing on their 14z?  There is nothing wrong with the router or internet connection.  Help.

12 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 11:00

@peterberger. I have this issue on my brand new Netgear Wireless-N router but also at my work and several other locations speed is significantly lower than my old laptop so I do not think it is a router problem.

January 2nd, 2012 14:00

I agree with peterberger, it's not work Intel N6230 with dell laptops. I thinking change wireless card to Atheros also. Just quick question to peterberger: did you have problem with sound: Stuttering/Buzzing Sound During Audio/Video Playback link to this problem: en.community.dell.com/.../19412524.aspx

because I got this problem also on my XPS 14z but some people fixed when they disable the wireless card. I have did disable on wireless card but still have a problem with sound just maybe not that often when wireless card was enable. So maybe if you make change Intel N 6230 to Atheros it will fix both problems: wireless signal and sound?

17 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 15:00

@peterberger, when you say connection with Atheros AR928 is OK, do you mean that is acceptable or that is very good (as it would be for other laptops)?

I assume that Dell didn't provide you with the Atheros. Did you tell them about the change in performance so that they become aware of the possibility the issue may be with the card after all?

I hope this is good news. thanks

21 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 15:00

@aidas

No I did not have a problem with sound.

21 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 16:00

@odietamo

I didn't do a real performance test with the Atheros AR9285. But the (sloppy) router in my house now allows me to use the 14z on the 1st and 2nd floor (just like I did with my previous laptop) which was just impossible with the Intel N 6320 (anything further away than 7 meters would cause problems). And at the office I now can work at considerable distance from the access point.

I haven't even discussed this problem with a local Dell technician yet, only on this forum. Switching the unit or the card for an identical one isn't the proper way to solve this type of problem. But we have Terry here in this thread, whom I hope is reading along and will do something with the info gathered here. If I have time I will try the N 6320 in another brand laptop and drop the result here.

623 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 18:00

@peterberger, when you say connection with Atheros AR928 is OK, do you mean that is acceptable or that is very good (as it would be for other laptops)?

I assume that Dell didn't provide you with the Atheros. Did you tell them about the change in performance so that they become aware of the possibility the issue may be with the card after all?

I hope this is good news. thanks

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=279848

Keep in mind that the Atheros HB95 (AR9285) is 1-stream wireless network adapter that would connect at 150 Mbps max...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=430-3866&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=2&baynote_irrank=0

Another alternative to an Intel WLAN would be the Dell Wireless 1520 that could connect upto 270Mbps 802.11n...

January 3rd, 2012 03:00

@somms

who cares that Atheros AR9285 work up tp 150 Mbps max, it's any way better than Intel N 6230 work up to 300 Mbps (in dell laptops up to 36Mbps max 1-2 meters from router).

Dell 1520 Don't think anyone can trust this card. In some forums guys make complaint about it also.

Price also nearly double than Atheros.

623 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 11:00

@somms

who cares that Atheros AR9285 work up tp 150 Mbps max, it's any way better than Intel N 6230 work up to 300 Mbps (in dell laptops up to 36Mbps max 1-2 meters from router).

Dell 1520 Don't think anyone can trust this card. In some forums guys make complaint about it also.

Price also nearly double than Atheros.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1411744

12 Posts

January 5th, 2012 04:00

I now installed an Atheros AR9287 adapter I bought brand new on eBay for 15 euros incl. shipping. Runs very fast connecting at 300 Mbps to my router anywhere in the house.

@ peterberger: Thanks for the idea for going for Atheros.

@ dell: serieus complaint letter is under way

21 Posts

January 5th, 2012 05:00

You're welcome @Fompe. Good to hear you also solved the issue with another card.

But we still cannot tell if this is a N6230/Router issue or a XPS14z/N6230 problem.

The latter I'm not sure of because there are similar issues with the N6230 related to other laptops. 

Anyway - @Terry: why is Dell silent? We are your customers and we need assistance.

January 9th, 2012 13:00

Did anyone tryed new drivers from Dell version: A02v14.3.0.6

dated: 03/01/2012

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

did new drivers solved problem??

12 Posts

January 9th, 2012 15:00

I tried them but they do not solve the problem. It is an hardware issue.

17 Posts

January 12th, 2012 04:00

hi @peterberger, your posted link seems to be broken. Can you repost with details of what i am meant to download.

I love the 14z but really need the wireless to work or will have to give up on it.

Has anyone else successfully resourced to the Atheros AR9287 as an alternative?

@Terry B, has Dell published anywhere an awknoledgement of this problem and its commitment to rectify? I see that people on the 15z forum i are now venting their frustration with facebook campaign...

20 Posts

January 12th, 2012 06:00

Hi there,

I had my second visit from the IT guy and he did switch the card from 6230 to a 6300 Card. The 6300 has way more power, but no change in the wireless connection.

I will try to talk to the tech Support one more time to see, if they can update the driver.

The last updated driver, had no affect, but dell acknowledged that there is an issue with an N driver.

Also, I have the issue, that it just disconnects randomly.

Anybody any idea what the Mini Wfii Microsoft Adapter do?

Any update?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2012 08:00

maze06,

The Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapters...

Try reading...

Intel® My WiFi Technology

And some work Intel® Wireless Display

Rick

No Events found!