Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2006 01:00

Wireless connected but no internet

Just received my new Inspiron B130 with Dell 1470 wireless card.  I have a home wireless network running with other computers.  Got on one and got the WEP key.  Tried to set up the Inspiron and in the task bar I have the 4 green vertical bars that I double click and get the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility.  Go to the Site Monitor tab and I can see my network (along with 2 neighbors).  When I hover over the 4 green bars, I get the messageStatus:Limited or no connectivity.  All this and I can't connect to the internet.  Obviously the wireless router is working because I am using my disktop with the router to write this.

2.2K Posts

December 6th, 2006 03:00

Try the simple things first. Power down the cable modem and router. Wait 2 minutes or so and power up the modem first. Once powered fully then power the router. After that has powered then select start, run and type in cmd. hit enter. Then type in ipconfig /release and then hit enter. Then type in ipconfig /renew and hit enter. If it renews ok then close the window and you should be able to connect.

24 Posts

December 15th, 2006 18:00

Sounds like you have a connection but no IP or DNS. Open up a command prompt, and type in
ipconfig
Then you will see if your router is assigning a dhcp address or not.
No Events found!