Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2011 11:00

Wireless connection is 1 bar or no connection at all on XPS 8100 Desktop

Hello, my new XPS 8100 desktop arrived today, and after setting it up everything is running perfectly except for the wireless connection.

I cannot get more than 1 bar on my wireless signal and it runs very slowly. If I plug my ethernet cable in, it seems to run well enough. I am typing this on my laptop, which is currenly sitting at the same desk as my new desktop and has 4-5 bars connectivity with my wireless router. It usually switches between 1 bar and no access every 10-15 minutes.

The Network Adapter I have on my new desktop is:

DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card

The wireless router I am using is:

Belkin Pre-N 293390

There are no problem with any of the other computers on this network, just the new dell desktop that I got today. I set up the wireless connection using the wizard that appeared when I first powered up the new computer. I have set up wireless networks in exactly the same way on my old desktop, the laptop I am currenly writing this on and, most recently, on two laptops used by my family when they came to visit over Christmas. There were no issues there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you need more information to help me diagnose and treat this problem I will give it.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 1st, 2011 09:00

I'd suspect that you are not connecting wirelessly to your own network & router. Make sure your router has a unique name that it is broadcasting (SSID) and not the factory default one that others could have. (I have a couple of Linksys networks in my neighborhood.)  All your home computers should be connecting to the same network. Run the Network & Sharing Center again and check the names and strengths of the wireless networks in your area. Yours will have 5 bars.  Make sure you have the correct security settings.There is also a troubleshooter in Network & Sharing Center .Don't set up the network as you have in the past. Win 7 is pretty automatic and will guide you. Type Network and Sharing in the Start Box to begin.

9 Posts

February 4th, 2011 10:00

I could have written the above as my Studio XPS 425M has the same problem and I have a laptop right next to it that gets five bars. Did you get this working?  And yes, my network is named and seeing it.

Any help would be appreciated. Also this worked great a few weeks ago.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 4th, 2011 13:00

Use the Network troubleshooter to see what has changed from when it was working. Sometimes wireless settings get changed for no apparent  reason. If that comes up with nothing, set up a new network connection from scratch in Network and Sharing Center to see if that works. Make sure your router's SSID is unique and you have the correct password and other settings. 

9 Posts

February 4th, 2011 13:00

I have already restored my system to several different dates to try to get back my bars for wireless with no luck.  I have about run out of ideas, even what I see others have tried.

I just know it is not the service provider since all my other computers work with a full load of bars.

XPS 435 MT
8 GB SDRam
Windows 7 Home
Dell wireless 1505 Draft 802.11 WLAN mini-card with updated driver

No Events found!