Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2011 13:00

Wireless network card

So confused ! I have a Dimension E510 and my printer quit working. I have connectivity with my laptop so the wireless is OK. I called Lexmark and I can  now print from my computer by plugging in a USB cable. Under network connections I show nothing.  The 2-wire wireless client manager says there is no wireless network card.

How did I lose it, can I still find it or do I have to order a new one. Thanks in advance for any thoughts as I do not have a clue!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 24th, 2011 17:00

toosie1,

Was the operating system installed recently? If so, did you install the desktop/notebook system utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

5 Posts

August 24th, 2011 19:00

Thanks for replying Rick. The computer has worked great for several years until I made the mistake of letting the Lexmarx tech have access to it. Somehow he removed the networking connection icon when you open up networking. It is b now blank and before it showed waht network I was connected to and the strength. It is strange that my laptop is still connected wireless and it will print if I remove the USB cable from the CPU, but the CPU will not print unless it has the cable connection. Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 25th, 2011 03:00

toosie1,

If you have a system restore point, go back to before the Lexmark Technician remotely accessed your computer. See it you can connect. If you can connect, I'd sooner help with the printer issue. If you can then connect, we'll work on the printer. If you cannot connect, we'll need to work on that first. Will still need the information below.

You have a Dimension E510

What operating system? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Make and model of the printer and how you're trying to connect the printer.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

5 Posts

August 25th, 2011 09:00

Rick thanks again for your help. I did system restore and it did not bring back thewireless network card. Yet the wireless between computers works fine??  It is 32 bit. I use AVG for my virus protector and yahoo e-mail has one of their own.

The printer is a Lexmark S605.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 25th, 2011 15:00

toosie1,

Which Operating system?

Allow Wireless Printer Blocked by AVG 8.0 Firewall will allow the printer past it, may also allow you to connect.

What do you see in the device manager? Under Network?

Rick

5 Posts

August 25th, 2011 17:00

Hi Rick, Again thanks for all your research. I do not have a firewall with AVG as it is the free version. Therefore I use the Windows XP firewall.  Under network adaptor in the device manager the only thing it has is Intel(R0 Pro/100 VE Network connection. Since I last chatted with you I now show no printer communication, but the green light is on showing wi fi is working.

5 Posts

August 25th, 2011 20:00

Hey Rick, I finally figured it out by working backwards regarding what theLexmark tech did when he took over my computer. He left the DHCP turned off and it would not automatically recognize the IP Address, Network etc. Thanks afor all the time you spent trying to help me. I highly suggest a person thing twice before allowing them to access your computer

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 26th, 2011 03:00

toosie1,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. I usually only allow the Dell Technicians remotely work on the computer, since it is under warranty. If you need help with the printer, since you have the wireless adapter working, please let me know. I do help with the Dell Inkjet Printers, so sometimes the solution is very simple.

Allowing the printer past certtain versions of virus progrsams, even if you think you're using Windows firewall. The virus program sometimes blocks the printer from communicating with the computer.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!