Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2008 02:00

Wireless networks not detected

I have a Dell Inspiron D630 with a 3945ABG Wifi/Bluetooth minicard. The card is wireless is enabled in both software and hardware. The laptop is running Windows XP32bit SP2.

When I try to use Windows to manage my Wi-Fi connection it fails to pick up an networks at all, even after a refresh or a reboot. When I look at the wireless properties there is a General tab but no Wireless tab. However, when I use the Intel Pro/set Wireless software to manger my Wi-fi connection it all works perfectly and I can see maybe half a dozen different network and can connect to them without trouble. No sign of any trouble at all.

Any ideas? The Windows management software isn't particularly good, but I need it in order to connect to a pre-sign in network authentication service that I use that the Intel drivers can't handle.

14.4K Posts

December 8th, 2008 07:00

Are you stopping the intel service before you try the windows service? IF you dont you should be getting an error message that some other adapter is managing the wireless service.

Open the Intel software and using the menu bar there is a setting that will say let windows manage the connection. When you do this this will stop the intel service and pass the wireless off to windows.

Also make sure the Wireless zero is enabled in the services.  click START> Run in the run box type   services.msc. in the window that pops up scroll down to the wireless zero listing  click on it to open the properties and make sure it is set to automatic.

1.7K Posts

December 8th, 2008 11:00

Dave is on the right track here.  My experience is that when the Intel ProSet is managing the wireless connection, it disables the Windows WZC service.  With WZC service stopped, you don't get the Wireless tab in the properties window for a wifi card.

If you tell the Intel ProSet to let Windows manage the connection, however, it is supposed to start the WZC service for you.  At that point you should have teh wireless tab and be able to make the connection you need.

137 Posts

December 9th, 2008 00:00

A good suggestion but alas I've already tried this one. I had the Windows manager enabled first and found that it wasn't working so I switched wifi control to the Intel manager which worked perfectly, I then told the Intel manager to relinquish control to the Windows manager in the hope that it would kick start it but it didn't.

If one manager has control and you try to use the other manager you get a warning message. I get no such message from the Windows manager. It thinks that it has control and it acts as if it has control, but it doesn't.

No Events found!