Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2012 11:00

XPS 17 L702x takes more than usual to boot

Hi,

I have notice that my XPS 17 L702x takes more than usual to boot than before, does anyone have an idea of why this might be?.

10 Posts

November 28th, 2012 07:00

Hi Rajesh,

the computer in save mode takes about 8 seconds to boot and in normal mode 18 to 25 seconds. I have checked some of the programs runnig at the startup in windows 7 and made some adjustments, but nothing have change the computer takes 18 to 25 seconds to restart.

I have run the Microsof fixit which leaded me to adjust some of the programs running at startup.

I also run the diagnostics on the computer everything pass on the first test I did on the second test because when I started to press the power button simultaneously in one of the actions I press the button more and the computer shutted itself off when I came back to do the test the test pass but once it boot itself windows startup fail.

Which leaded me to the startup repair window as it tried to attemp repair it, took about 30 mins to repait.

result: completed test successfully. Error code= 0x0

The System takes the same amount of time to boot after all the testing.

any ideas??

Thanks

Mt

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

November 28th, 2012 15:00

Hi Mt,

Try to do a clean boot which can resolve the issue.

Below steps would help you clean boot:

Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

Configure Selective Startup options

1. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.
  2. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

Note The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.

1. Click the Services tab.
  2. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  3. Click Disable All, and then click OK.
  4. When you are prompted, click Restart.

For more information refer below link:

http://bit.ly/dvkhDE

Check the status and keep me posted.

10 Posts

November 29th, 2012 04:00

Hi Rajesh R,

I have followed the steps above and now the laptop boot faster 6 - 7 seconds which is quicker than before.

I quick note I notice that after I was prompted and Restart, the screen went black for about 20 or 30 seconds the system was working and I got the logo sound at the background but the screen was black no image.

Then after 20 or 30 seconds I got the logging screen. I did restart the computer again and this time I didn't have the black screen.

Therefore I think the booting issue is been fix.

Thank you very much of the support I really appreciate.

Cheers

Mt

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

November 29th, 2012 11:00

Hi Mt,

I am glad to know that the issue is fixed on the computer.

For any issues on the computer run PC diagnostics  on the computer to determine the issue.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

November 27th, 2012 16:00

Hi woodfox,

Check if the computer boots faster in safe mode. Restart the computer and tap F8 on Dell logo and select safe mode.

If the computer boots faster into safe mode, boot into normal mode and disable start up.

I recommend running Microsoft fixit on the computer.

Also, run diagnostics on the computer.Restart the computer by holding the FN and Power button simultaneously.Let the diagnostics complete.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!