Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

July 20th, 2012 15:00

XPS 210 Integrated NIC blown by lightning

Today, there was a very close lightning strike near my house and my DELL XPS 210 accessed the router before but not after. Noother elctronics, even my 2 other DELL computers were affected. I've eliminated the NIC cables, router port,  everything but the actual NIC card. But diagnostics say it's working properly. Could a registry entry have been corrupted (I have a registry backup the day before). Can I replace the Integrated NIC with an internal (or external) NIC? I'm running XP Professional SP3.

July 26th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

After the lightning strike, is your computer powering on with no trouble. If yes, then you need to reconfigure the wireless settings .Please check in device manager for the wireless adapter driver, if there is a yellow exclamation mark ,you need to update it.

Please reply if anymore queries.

Thanks and Regards

DELL_Priyanka_S

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

https://www.facebook.com/Dell  

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE21F49ACD1A6B608&feature=plcp

July 26th, 2012 15:00

Thanks for the response. This Dell XPS 210 is powering on normally, everything is working fine but the NIC. It does NOT have a wireless adapter, so I can't follow your suggestion. I've looked at both the 1394 Net Adapter (driver - nic1394.sys) and the Intel 82562V 10/100 Network Connection (driver - e!e5132.sys). I've run the tests in the device manager and they all pass. The cable is testing fine as well. But I keep getting a flashing error message Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged (which is not the case).

I see no yellow exclamation mark as you suggest regarding the aforementioned adapters. I'm running XP SP3. It's not easy to update the drivers (at least I don't know how to do this) without an internet connection. I don't have a CD with these drivers on it.

I've ordered a new Intel NIC - I hope it comes with the necessary driver software  or it's being returned. I also hope it doesn't conflict with the on board NIC that's (now) not working.

Any other thoughts?

July 28th, 2012 10:00

I thought I'd share my successful experience with installing the new NIC and drivers.

I'll assume that installing the card in the computer is understood, although that can be difficult - make sure you do a visual inspection of the availablePC slots and type before you buy.

The NIC came without a CD with software, so I had to get it online.

This would, obviously, be impossible from this computer as I couldn't connect to the internet.

But I have 2 others that did have access, so I Googled : driver for Intel gigabit CT desktop adapter

I followed this link to the official Intel site:

Based on your Google product search, you'll get a different link. After answering some questions about what OS, etc., you'll get a download button.
This downloads an installer and a lot more than just the driver(s). It seems to be the only way to properly do an install (unless you have a CD that came with the NIC).
I had to transfer this .exe file (32MB) via an SD chip - the "new" floppy disk - between computers. You have to run this file on the computer with the new NIC.
So, after installing the NIC, and inserting a cable into it, I rebooted.
I ran the PROWin32.exe I had downloaded from Intel for my particular NIC on the disabled computer.
It gave an error that the current Intel PRO Set connection software could not be updated and to uninstall it, which I did. Sounds scary, but the NIC still wasn't working, so I felt there was nothing to lose.
After I did this, I reran PROWin32.exe and after completing the installation, it immediately connected to the internet, and registered my product,
I was still getting an error on the onboard, integrated NIC, so I disabled it and all is well.
Perhaps this procedure is straightforward to most of you out there, but it wasn't intuitively obvious to me - and I work in IT.
I hope it helps you.
No Events found!