Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2011 20:00

XPS 8300 brand new connects to the Broadcom Netlink Communication card only after rebooting 3-4 times at cold-start.

Hi,

I just bought an XPS 8300 brand new.

After woeking OK a few days, now it connects to the Broadcom Netlink Communication card only after rebooting 3-4 times at cold-start.

Anybody experiencing the same problem?

All the other home computers are connecting from the first shot. (two laptops and another desktop. They much slower computers.

At the begining I have re-installed the driver (from DVD and downloaded), but not this is the problem.

The computer has to get a bit warm.

When it does not connect, the Dell Test tool DOES NOT SEE (does not appear in the test list) the Broadcom NetLink Gigabite Ethernet card.

I am a bit dissapointed, it is a brand new computer, I expected more than problems from the very begining.

Thanks, Cristian, Montreal, Canada

10 Posts

December 14th, 2011 19:00

Hi Chris,

Can you provide the -exact- Rxxxxx.exe numbers that we should try?

Is R284334.exe one of the them?

If you provide me with the exact EXEs, I can try downloading and running them.

It's getting tiresome having to reboot 5 times on a coldboot in order to get the network card to respond.

Thanks,

Rob

15 Posts

December 14th, 2011 19:00

I am having this exact same problem on my XPS8300 as well.  Broadlink network only intermittently appears and I have reinstalled chipset and broadcom drivers multiple times, includingwith help desk (that had me install Intel drivers after chipset, not Broadcom).  Thank goodness I have a wireless card installed as well - my wife has no patience for this.  After new driver install it seemes to work for about a week  - sometimes less.

25 Posts

December 14th, 2011 23:00

Considering the price more than 800 Euro & around 1000$ this should work perfectly so (sometimes less.) is not even an alternative.

I'm freezing that dell already knew about this problem before selling their Xps's it s not the first time that dell came in this suspicious situations .

Within two days this will say maybe today or tomorrow between 8h & 18h will send a guy with empty package  to take safely the pc with him, & from the token day i have to count 10 working days at least two week.

Motherboard changing is a trial following me cos i don't think that this will be the solution. i hope so but i m freezing for the worst.

I will do my best to let know.

En if your pc is under warranty don't hesitate to suggest changing motherboard like i did. otherwise it's too late.

Good luck everyone

25 Posts

December 14th, 2011 23:00

Sorry I meant 10 working days it was an error

2 Posts

December 15th, 2011 01:00

Same here (reposted as previous post removed by moderators as apparently you cannot mention an alternative word for posterior)

Dell XPS 8300 brand new sometimes works on network, taken me hours to get on-line to reply to this, yet I have a £400 machine of similar spec (zoom from ebuyer) that does NOT have these problems.

Only fix that seems to work (tried speed duplex, wake-up, new cables / switches etc.) is turn off remove power lead, wait at least 60 seconds re-try.

Not a lot of use for a media machine!

DELL please fix this problem.

Paul

10 Posts

December 15th, 2011 06:00

After I re-installed the drivers, its been worse!!  It used to happen 1-2 times a week, but now it happens every time the computer is turned off or goes to sleep.  I am really worried that its a faulty motherboard that will give out in a couple of years.

2 Posts

December 15th, 2011 11:00

DELL-Chris M, the problem still persists.  Just to confirm, it does not seem to be rebooting that temporarily solves the problem, leaving the computer switched on eventually sets the link light on the router (although a subsequent reboot is still required to get the computer onto the network).  Also, my system was working from from August until late November.

35 Posts

December 15th, 2011 15:00

Same problem here.  Purchased back in July, worked fine until the end of November.  Have called support and was told that they were only aware of one other person with this same problem.  The only suggestion is to replace the Motherboard.  Was told it would take 2-3 hours.  Kind of hard when you work all day.  Not sure that is the problem and I hate to waste a day to find out it's not fixed.  I've been thinking that it could be a power issue, because it works fine and then for some reason, it shuts down and it takes several tries to get it to connect.  Starting-Shutting Down-Unplugging and then it works for a day or two, then back to it.   Looks like something happened in November to make this problem start.  I'm hopping that someone will come up with the answer before I go through the process of having the Motherboard replace...

25 Posts

December 16th, 2011 00:00

I don't know if replacing Motherboard will have the problem solved but they suggest it & i have no choice.

It will take me 10 working days it s long.....

Do you see a problem to change the motherboard? If this will solve it i won't mind.

I have a strange thing happend today. i restart my pc i had no connection and after a couple of hours i was surprised to have connection again really strange.

I really start to think that is compatibility problem between the Broadcom netwerk adapter & the motherboard (assembling problem)

Now it's for them to do their work.

3 Posts

December 16th, 2011 02:00

I've also got this problem on an XPS8300 about a month old, and it only started in the past 2 weeks.

Reboot doesn't always get it working but if you disable then enable the adaptor in Control Panel, this seems to work.

25 Posts

December 16th, 2011 08:00

I haven't seen anyone to pick up the pc till now.

frustrating

10 Posts

December 16th, 2011 09:00

@XPS8300: I don't think it's your motherboard. I notice that everyone on this thread is saying that the problem started in late November: do you think it's possible that ALL of our motherboards failed at the same time? I find that highly unlikely. On the first few reboots, there is no network adapter listed in the Windows Device Manager, then on the next reboot, the adapter is there and works perfect. If this was a hardware problem, the network card should fail again, but it doesn't. I can reboot over and over again after it's working and the network card always shows up then and works. It's only after I shutdown the computer overnight and then do a cold boot that the problem returns. And again, the fact that we are all reporting this problem happening AT THE SAME TIME is a strong indicator that it's software related. Did Dell push out an update that caused this problem? Is it related to a Windows Update? I don't know, but I'd like an answer from Dell Support that fixes the issue for good. So far, Suppor has told me to: a) Update the BIOS from A04 to A06 b) uninstall Zonealarm c) update the network card driver (r282233.exe) d) uninstall the "Dell Support Center" application e) disable Win7 from turning off the network card to save power But none of these steps has fixed the problem.

10 Posts

December 16th, 2011 10:00

I agree.  Mine started acting up around November too.  It has to be software related.  

25 Posts

December 16th, 2011 12:00

I have the same view it is maybe software problem. in my point of view they have to take it back cos it's not working like it should.

The windows sold with dell doesn't benifit from win support it's the fabricant who is responsible for software support too.

So they have to solve it and by the way they promised to send somone yesterday or today but none shoed up very frustrated now.

15 Posts

December 17th, 2011 06:00

I also purchased my machine in July and problem ocurred the last week of October or first week of November (called Dell support on 7 November).  I noticed something interesting today.  When I go into Device Manager, the broadlink card does not appear under network adapters.  That has always been the problem - lose network connection and cannot even see the card under Device manager or Dell System test. Today, I right-clicked on the network card node and selected "Detect Hardware Changes".  The Broadlink adapter appeared and my ethernet connection resumed.  I have been leaving wi-fi on so that i don't lose internet when these failures occur but I'd prefer to leave it disabled and use ethernet if the Broadlink adapter would be reliable.  Given that Win7 can fid the adapter ona refresh, I think this is software related as well.

No Events found!