Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2011 20:00

XPS 8300 brand new connects to the Broadcom Netlink Communication card only after rebooting 3-4 times at cold-start.

Hi,

I just bought an XPS 8300 brand new.

After woeking OK a few days, now it connects to the Broadcom Netlink Communication card only after rebooting 3-4 times at cold-start.

Anybody experiencing the same problem?

All the other home computers are connecting from the first shot. (two laptops and another desktop. They much slower computers.

At the begining I have re-installed the driver (from DVD and downloaded), but not this is the problem.

The computer has to get a bit warm.

When it does not connect, the Dell Test tool DOES NOT SEE (does not appear in the test list) the Broadcom NetLink Gigabite Ethernet card.

I am a bit dissapointed, it is a brand new computer, I expected more than problems from the very begining.

Thanks, Cristian, Montreal, Canada

904 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 04:00

All,

As per the Update received please call Dell Technical Support and an appropriate measure would be taken.

The fix is out which is on a case to case basis, hence i would request all who face this issue to call Tech support for your region.

The Engineering team has forwarded the details to the Technical team and the TS process for this issue should go smooth.

FYI:  I was not provided with a Fix, please reach out to the Dell Tech Support for further details.

15 Posts

November 8th, 2011 18:00

I am having the same problem.  Began as intermittent failure to connect to internet. Dell test tool and control panel cannot see the Broadcom card.  Dell support remoted into my machine and reinstalled chipset driver which worked for a few days and now the problem is back.

9 Posts

November 27th, 2011 11:00

Hello Christian.

I'm having exactly the same problem.  Brand new 8300.  It worked fine for a month.  I used to shut the system with the Sleep Mode.  It always works from a cold stard.  I found this link as a possible answer:

en.community.dell.com/.../18921466.aspx

I made the change a minute ago, I'll let you know if it solved the problem.

Good luck.

Sylvain.

9 Posts

November 27th, 2011 14:00

Hello again.

It seems to be solved.  We'll see in a long term period if it's still ok.

Sylvain.

6 Posts

December 7th, 2011 19:00

I'm in the same boat - it takes several reboots for the card to be seen (even though there is blinking activity at the jack).  I also noticed that if I have WiFi enabled it doesn't see the NIC.  Changing the Power Management options have had no effect for me (as it did for Sylvain).  

Guess I'll have to contact Dell Support as this has been bothering me for a few weeks now and the problem is getting worse.  I'll report back when this is resolved.

9 Posts

December 8th, 2011 14:00

Bad news.

Two weeks later and the problem is back.  Why was it working fine 2 or 3 times a day during 2 weeks and then bad as if nothing had changed ?

Maybe a clue: One particular process ran before the return of the problem: the "Dell Support Center Checkup" !  It started automatically and I let it ran completely.  I first thought that it changed the Power Mng options, but no, they are still off for card.

Other symptom: I used the choose the Restart option in Windows in order to reboot my PC when the card was not seen.  The PC now freezes and I have to do a cold stop/start in order to have de PC back.

Let's keep informed of any additionnal hints.

Thank you.

Sylvain.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2011 04:00

I'm having the same problem, although everything worked fine from when I bought the XPS 8300 late in August until a week last Tuesday (29-Nov-2011).  I've noticed that's the exact date that crom52 initially raised this call.  Leaving the machine on for a while and then rebooting seems to eventually lead to a connection (although it can take 3 - 4 attempts).  While the problem is there, the Broadcom Netlink device doesn't appear in the Device Manager and the router gets no status from the desktop (according to the lights on the front).  My router is a Netgear WGR614 and I'm running Windows Home Premium SP1.

10 Posts

December 12th, 2011 12:00

I am having the exact same problems.  I've unchecked the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", which improved the connection issue a bit.  However, I still have to reboot at least once a week (after computer is already turned on)  for my computer to recognize the network adapter.  I have called tech support twice and nothing seems to work.  It is difficult to diagnose this issue since it happens so randomly.  The tech support said the motherboard might have to be replaced.  I use my computer for work and cannot be without it for more than a day.  Very frustrated.  I am contemplating a installing a separate network card and just disabling the Broadcom.  

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

December 12th, 2011 16:00

* Remove the Dell Support Center from Control Panel Add/Remove Programs
* Restart the PC
* Reinstall the XPS 8300 Chipset and Broadcom driver from the website, not your Resource DVD
* When done installing both, restart the PC and retest

6 Posts

December 13th, 2011 02:00

Hi Chris,

I see two downloads available for the XPS8300 Chipset:

* R284334.exe (2MB) / Chipset Software Install Utility

* R284362.exe (4MB) / AMT HECI

I've got them both downloaded, but the readme files aren't overly descriptive.

Do we need to install them both?

Will we eventually be able to re-install the Dell Support Center Utility?

Thank You,

Ralph

25 Posts

December 14th, 2011 05:00

I would like to know if  this solution helped:

Remove the Dell Support Center from Control Panel Add/Remove Programs

* Restart the PC

* Reinstall the XPS 8300 Chipset and Broadcom driver from the website, not your Resource DVD

* When done installing both, restart the PC and retest.

Thanks

Frustrations.........

10 Posts

December 14th, 2011 07:00

It did not work.  I just rebooted 4 times and its still not recognizing the network adapter.  I'm using a USB wireless adapter to reply to this.  This is REALLY frustrating.

25 Posts

December 14th, 2011 12:00

I called dell support today & they said they will have to come & pick it up to change the motherboard so it will take 100 work days. it's not a good sign i think is a assembling problem of the motherboard & the broadcom netwerkadapter.

So withing two days they will come & i have to wait at least 15 days. & i wish that this will solve the problem otherwise they will have to pay it back.

This problem is known also by the dell inspiron & other dell laptops so its for them to arrange it.

I will post the result as soon as i get my PC.

Thanks

10 Posts

December 14th, 2011 13:00

100 work days??!!!  I use this computer for my home based business and I cant be without it for more than a day.  I guess I'm buying a new network card.  This is ridiculous, considering I spent over $1,000 on it.  All this talk about Dell having great costumer service is a complete joke.  I've spent over 2 hrs on the phone with tech support and thought we had figured it out.  The gal gave me a direct line and told me to leave a voicemail if it start again.  I've left 2 messages and no one has responded, which is why I resorted to this forum.

9 Posts

December 14th, 2011 17:00

No, it didn't help at all, I'd even say that it's worst ;o(

Sylvain.

No Events found!