Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2016 13:00

beeps then was my computer hacked into?

I just got the Inspiron 3847 a few days ago.  It has Win10 Home version on it.  I am using the Win10 firewall.

I put my computer to sleep last night, and pulled the power plug out of the modem.  At 9am this morning, the computer was still asleep.  Then I hear beeps, maybe 5.  Then it stopped beeping.  I started to use the computer at 10:16 am.  I pull up the Event Viewer to see why it beeped.  It showed a log on at 8:59am.  Nobody else was here.  The power cord was still out, until I plugged it in.  The monitor screen never came on, until I woke up the computer.  I do not have a wi-fi router.  I do not sync a smart phone.  I had to sign in to my account, when it woke up.  I am not sure what to think of this. 

I have noticed since I got this computer, it takes a long time to connect to my network.  I have to unplug the ethernet cord, and power cord, to get it to make a connection.  It pops up Edge, and says something about a connection problem.  Then it says resolved, after I leave it in there.  On my Win8 computer it always said I was on a private network.  But this computer shows it is on a public network.  It is connected via the hardwired modem only.  Any help here would be great.

1.8K Posts

January 19th, 2016 09:00

I just got the Inspiron 3847 a few days ago.  It has Win10 Home version on it.  I am using the Win10 firewall.

I put my computer to sleep last night, and pulled the power plug out of the modem.  At 9am this morning, the computer was still asleep.  Then I hear beeps, maybe 5.  Then it stopped beeping.  I started to use the computer at 10:16 am.  I pull up the Event Viewer to see why it beeped.  It showed a log on at 8:59am.  Nobody else was here.  The power cord was still out, until I plugged it in.  The monitor screen never came on, until I woke up the computer.  I do not have a wi-fi router.  I do not sync a smart phone.  I had to sign in to my account, when it woke up.  I am not sure what to think of this. 

I have noticed since I got this computer, it takes a long time to connect to my network.  I have to unplug the ethernet cord, and power cord, to get it to make a connection.  It pops up Edge, and says something about a connection problem.  Then it says resolved, after I leave it in there.  On my Win8 computer it always said I was on a private network.  But this computer shows it is on a public network.  It is connected via the hardwired modem only.  Any help here would be great.

Hi,

If you had physically pulled the power cable from the modem your system wouldn't have had internet connection so it's highly doubtful you were hacked.  The beeping could have been some Windows task that was scheduled to run at 9am (maybe a software scan or checking for updates?)

If you are pulling your power cord to the modem without first disabling / turning of the network connection you may be causing some conflicts in the network profiles on your system, which could cause the lag time in that system connecting to the modem / internet.   Windows 10 has a firewall that will block most internet traffic from accessing your system so physically turning off the modem may not be the best way to prevent access.  Simply disconnecting the network cable would accomplish the same thing without forcing the modem to reboot continuously each time you power it up. (depending on your ISP it may take a few minutes for that modem to authenticate and receive internet access)

As for your network profile here are a couple of links about how to change your network from Public to Private in Windows 10.

From a Microsoft Discussion

How to Set Network Location to be Public or Private in Windows 10

I hope this helps.   If you are worried about someone accessing your system it should have come with some security software and you may want to try having that scan the system.   It can't hurt.   And read up on the Windows Firewall plus whatever firewall your software security has.   

If you would like more help, to make troubleshooting a bit more efficient please click on my Dell Todd username and send me a private message with the Dell Service Tag of your system.  Please keep all discussions and troubleshooting steps in this public thread so others with the same questions can see what is discussed.

Todd

45 Posts

January 19th, 2016 09:00

I just now realized it may be the back up program that was to run at 9am.  I am going to have to change that time for the scheduled backup.  I have always just unplugged the modem via the power cord.  I had the same modem for untold years...probably 8-10.  A few months ago I had to buy a new one.  The new one does not connect as fast as the old one did.  Thank you Todd for helping me.  I will unplug the ethernet cord from now on instead of the power cord. 

No Events found!