Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2014 22:00

bought new Inspiron 15 3521 and it picks up the wifi but I can't connect to the network

as described in the question I bought from Microcenter a Dell Inspiron 15 3521 today brand new, and it instantly picked up on the wifi signal strongly but when I try to connect to it, the security key doesn't work. I know what the key is, as it worked (and still does) for my other Macbook laptop. I pushed the router button and the laptop received that signal, but still left me with the security code needed and it couldn't connect it said.

I'm seeing if someone knows how to fix this problem. I am in an apartment setup and can't do much with the router although I know it is a Netgear and can get the model # if that is needed. My Inspiron does connect to this low signal linksys wifi account that is not secure, so it definitely is not a problem with the wifi, and I have the wifi thing on via F2. Hopefully this doesn't take any big changes in router settings as I know nothing about that and don't own the router myself here.

Thanks for your help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 5th, 2014 04:00

mikebrownfisherman,

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER and post the information back here.

Rick

January 5th, 2014 07:00

Rick, I bought it at Microcenter and they installed something I think called NOD at the store for antivirus. They said not to use even the trial of McAfee. So basically when I first myself turned on the computer, I did all the usual stuff and then it got the good signal from this network at my apartment, but I couldn't connect to it even though I know the security code.

Is this something to do with network settings where I can change something to or from 'strict'? I saw this on other threads come up. I'd prefer to be able to do this without having to call someone at Support. 

January 5th, 2014 08:00

as I said, too, it did connect to this one weak signal it detected called 'linksys' which had one bar only. Obviously not good internet, but it did connect. I wonder if it is not strict enough settings on the Inspiron to match with the netgear router I have at the apartment. The router is near a bunch of other plugged in blinking routers and receivers like a Motorola one, and I should be able to get the model # if needed. My laptop is receiving the signal from the one router when I push the button. It just must be a security issue that I can't actually connect. My mac air always connects easily.

January 5th, 2014 08:00

got it going. just restarted the router. thanks

No Events found!