Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2009 13:00

dell gx280 no internet connection

My hard drive went out and I didn't save any of my drivers.  So far I have the new hard drive up and have installed drivers for sound.  It seems my only problem is that I can't get on the internet using wired.  I can get on using a usb wireless but where i am going to put the computer can't receive a signal so I am wanting to use the internet wired connection i had before.  However, my onboard LAN can't seem to find the modem to get on the internet.  I think it would have to do something with downloading a driver from the driver section but I don't know which one.  Can anyone help me?  Also, what else must I do??  I am old and having a hard time remembering what to do.  :emotion-6:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2009 14:00

rjrigo,

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first, then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 11th, 2009 13:00

Bob,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

3 Posts

May 11th, 2009 12:00

Thank You for your quick response.  I did what you said and it worked.  Then guess what - I found a disk that came with my machine with all the drivers on it, but it didn't state an order to install.  Thanks again,  Bob

No Events found!