Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AJ

February 19th, 2007 14:00

dell latitude d600

Hello everyone. im technically challenged and need help please. I have an additional laptop which is using a built in wireless chip which to all intents and purpose appears to be working. It seems to recognise my access point but it doesnt find my router/gateway and therefore i cant get internet access. the other laptop is very similar if a little older and works fine. i have 2 laptops and desktop that have no probs connecting. i have tried wireless cards and they work ok too but still no internet. All the others show the internet gateway icon and then i know i have access. i have no problems when its wired up. its driving me crazy. heres an ipconfig if thats any help. thanks adrian Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and Settings\Sophie Robson Davies>ipconfig /all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sophie Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-2C-E5-24 Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-C6-C3-4D-6C Ethernet adapter Network Bridge: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-0F-1F-BD-43-EF C:\Documents and Settings\Sophie Robson Davies>ipconfig /all

28K Posts

February 19th, 2007 15:00

First, go into Network Connections and remove the Network Bridge.  Unless you have a good reason for it being there, it should not be there.

Then run the ipconfig command again and report the results.

Steve

February 20th, 2007 04:00

steve thanks for getting back. i got rid of mac bridge. did ipconfig:results below. Ethernet adapter wireless connection: connection-specific DNS Suffix.: IP Address.....................:0.0.0.0 Subnet mask....................:0.0.0.0 Default Gateway................: thanks ade

February 20th, 2007 04:00

steve just to add i had a look in the tcp/ip properties: compared it with another laptopi have and it hasnt got a WLAN transport or Aegis protocol 802.01 - does that mean anything perhaps regards ade

28K Posts

February 20th, 2007 20:00

Try downloading and running winsockfix for Windows XP from the Here.

Steve

February 21st, 2007 10:00

steve i downloaded and ran it on the pc - still no internet. if the laptop works when wired but not when wireless either throught the internal wireless card or a network pcmcia card then does that point to anything? i put xp on the laptop and had to go to dell website and upload the drivers etc....was wondering if ive missed something? i have checked time and time again though? there is one obvious thing ive just noticed.... at the download section the download for the dell 1400 truemobile wlan states its only if you reside in the USA? what do you think? REGARDS ADE

28K Posts

February 21st, 2007 22:00

In which country do you reside?  If it is not in North America, then you should use the non-U.S. drivers. 

Do a search on the internet for the free program - Netstumber.  If you run Netstumber, does it see any wireless networks, including your own?

Steve

February 22nd, 2007 09:00

hi steve when i look at the available specs theres just one driver for the wireless internal - it doesnt give me an uk option it just says download this if youre in the usa? strange thanks ade

February 22nd, 2007 11:00

ive managed to find, what i believe to be the up to date drivers for uk for the 1400 true mobile wireless set up. still no go. tried the software you suggested - still no go. but i have also tried a netgear network card too and still get signal etc....its all recognised but still not able to get internet access. i did have a similar problem which turned out to be a firewall issue but i have nothing like that this time? it works when wired up? could it be this particular laptop is not being allowed to access by the router? wirelessly? dont understand? ive checked the bios and that all seems enabled too? thanks ade

28K Posts

February 22nd, 2007 12:00

Do you have any security enabled on the router (like MAC address filtering or encryption), if so, either temporarily disable these on the router or set the router back to its default settings to see if these security measures are causing the problem.  If it works with security disabled, then you know where the problem is and can add the security back, one step at a time, checking to make sure everything works after each step.

Steve
No Events found!