Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2008 09:00

internet connection keeps dropping out

Hi there, we have an M4300 laptop and the wirless connection keeps dropping out. There is no pattern to this - it can be after two minutes or ten. Can anyone suggest anything which might help - it is so frustrting to have to re-connect all the time, thanks a lot.

November 18th, 2008 15:00

Have you made sure that the Acces point you are connecting to has a unique SSID or is secure.

If you are at home or just connecting to the default public it could that a neighbor's wireless signal is stronger than yours and you roam to theirs.

Try specifically setting your access point has a unique SSID and not default. The associate to it....ideally with secuirty and monitor the signals strength.

1 Message

November 18th, 2008 19:00

I am running Vista on a XPS M1330, connecting to the Internet at home using my wireless network. The signal is stronger in my home than either of my neighbors. Still, I am constantly having my connection "restart" when I have more than one tab open and close one tab. This also happens occasionaly whe viewing streaming viedo.

1.7K Posts

November 24th, 2008 10:00

If one of the neighboring netowrks is using the same, or an overlapping, channel it is possible it could be causing the drop outs.  There is also the problem of any other 2.4GHz device (e.g., cordless phone) in your home, or right on the other side of an apartment wall from your router, causing interferrence.

2 Posts

December 4th, 2008 13:00

The unidentified error happened because in routers with security, they identify two different MAC addresses. One for the Hardwire LAN and the other for Wireless connectivity. Basically, the port will not open unless the MAC has been input in the router settings as one of the MAC's to trust in the private network.  In a nutshell, both LAN and WLAN need MAC's input into the router settings.

Hope this helps

January 26th, 2009 14:00

I am running Vista on a XPS M1330, connecting to the Internet at home using my wireless network. The signal is stronger in my home than either of my neighbors. Still, I am constantly having my connection "restart" when I have more than one tab open and close one tab. This also happens occasionaly whe viewing streaming viedo.

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever get this fixed? If so, how?

--C

No Events found!