Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2015 08:00

limited connection, shows internet working but not internet,

Hello I am having a problem with the wireless network on my laptop.  it shows the internet is connected but no internet.  I also keep losing my ip address as well as on my wireless printer...I have tried to reconfig the ip address which works and then happens again.  for some reason my Bluetooth device shows its working but is not connected.  I have saved a copy of my system info if needed.

thanks

joanna

1.8K Posts

August 10th, 2015 15:00

Hi Joanna,

It's interesting that you lose your IP address.  Normally once those are assigned by your router / server your system wouldn't lose it unless the IP address assignment expired and it was trying to renew the address.  

You don't mention which Dell system you have, nor which version of Windows you're running.  It would also help to know which wireless card you're using and what sort of router (manufacturer & model) that you're connecting to.  Also, do you have two separate cards for wifi & bluetooth are is it a combo card?

When is the last time you updated the driver for your wireless card(s)?  What about updating the firmware on your router?   If your wireless printer is also losing it's IP address then either rebooting your router might help, or you may want to update the firmware on it.

When you say that you lose the IP address again, how quickly does it happen?   And which browser are you using to try to connect to the internet?   What happens if you try another browser?   

And have you tried that laptop on a different network, such as a coffee shop, to see if the internet / IP issues follow the laptop to other networks?   

Please give us a bit more info on what is happening, what system and hardware you're using, and we'll see what other, more specific suggestions we can provide.

Todd

16 Posts

August 12th, 2015 04:00

hi  i am having the same thing on my dell 1545  laptop and do not know what to do  i have tryed what i know and that dose not work i am not to good at thank you

16 Posts

August 12th, 2015 09:00

it is dell inspiron 1545 laptop windows 7 useing   internet exporer the care i do not know thank you

August 13th, 2015 09:00

Hi Todd

Thank you for responding.  I have a Dell XPS running Windows 8.1. I believe I have a separate Bluetooth and wireless card. The Bluetooth shows not connected and for some reason will not let me connect.  I have updated the router modem already. I'm not sure if I updated the wireless card or not ?  My router is an ASUS RT- AC87U. My printer also is constantly disconnected and when I try to connect to wireless won't let me.  I once managed to reconfigure my laptop ip addy and it worked for a day then disconnects constantly. Most of the time it shows my internet is connected but it is not.  Also when I look at wireless networks it doesn't show my router.  I also have to mention I have VIPre. But that was installed because my network was being hacked.  

If you need more info please ask.  Also I have to mention we have at least 8 devices on this ASUS wifi router.

Thanks

Joanna

No Events found!