Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2013 18:00

"Network cable unplugged" - but it's not

I have an Inspiron 17R SE 7720 that is about a half-year old.  This problem has been occurring for as long as I can recall.  I'm running Windows 8, but this problem was identical with Windows 7.

My Ethernet adapter, a Realtek 10/100, works on boot-up.  At some random point it stops working.  It could be days later, it could be after waking up, it could be within an hour of a boot without sleep.  "Network Connections" shows the adapter as enabled but unplugged.  I can correct the problem by disabling the adapter and then re-enabling it, but that only works maybe a couple of times in a row.  In the latest instance (moments ago), I right-clicked the adapter to disable it, and then right-clicked  to enable it again.  Normally the adapter would then show the adapter as enabled and the cable connected.  When things really go wrong, a window pops up that first says "Enabling..." and then "Enabled", but it is still grayed out and not enabled.  The only solution I have is to reboot the machine.

What do I do?!

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 16th, 2013 00:00

Hi edsegio,

I suggest you to check if the Ethernet connection is working fine in safe mode with networking. To check in safe mode with networking:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Keep tapping F8 on the Dell Logo Screen.
  3. Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode with Networking.
  4. Press Enter.

Check if the computer is doing the same thing in safe mode with networking.
I suggest you to update the Network card drivers and BIOS for the system,

Use this link to install Network card drivers: http://dell.to/11kD7r6

To update BIOS use this link: http://dell.to/XnDkdR

Note: Ensure the battery level is more than 12%.Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS.

Click the above given link, follow the steps below to download the drivers:

1. Click “Get driver”.
  2. Click “Continue”.
  3. Follow the on screen instructions to download the drivers and install it in the computer.
  4. Restart the computer to save changes.

I would also like to know if the operating system was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

Please post the results.

7 Posts

April 30th, 2013 16:00

Thanks for the suggestions.  I updated the BIOS and tried out that driver.  Unfortunately, the song remains the same: my Ethernet cable is apparently unplugged.  Which, of course, it isn't.  I can unplug and replug it, but still, nothing.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks!

7 Posts

May 1st, 2013 03:00

I forgot to mention that the OS was indeed upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.  However, the problem was occurring prior to the upgrade as well.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2015 01:00

Hi,

don't know if this issue is still pending, but I had a very similar problem with my Ethernet connection popping off a few minutes after system start, claiming the LAN cable to be unplugged. WLAN connection worked however, so I was able to google for help and found some hints to the antivirus firewall settings. So finally I got this issue solved by uninstalling my eset-nod32 antivirus program. This done, it still did not work until I made following setting:

on network => adapter settings right-click on LAN-connection => properties (as admin!) and on the 'Share' Tab tick the first box 'permit other users of this network to use the internet connection of this computer'.

It sounds strange that this should do the trick, but it definitely solved my issue, even after I re-installed the antivirus software.

Note: this issue happened after I installed Win 10 (over existing Win 8.1) and again after upgrade to Win 10 ver. 1511.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 22nd, 2015 06:00

Install the latest drivers including the chipset.

2 Posts

January 24th, 2018 11:00

Hi,

I ran into a similar issue with Windows 10 1709, "Network cable unplugged" but it was properly connected, long story short, after A LOT of troubleshooting, I found that the issue was the VPN Client software, it was messing up all my network adapters after the upgrade.

My solution was to uninstall VPN Client from Control Panel then reboot the computer, Immediately ALL my network adapters came back. After that, I reinstall my VPN Client, now everything is working as expected.

I hope this can help you.

Thanks,

No Events found!