Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 2nd, 2012 13:00

upgraded to windows 8 and now WiFi doesn't work XPS 16

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 with my XPS 16.  I know the Intel R 5150 is not working right with Windows 8 just like everyone else I've seen post on various sites when they upgraded.  My concern is.. when is there gonna be an updated driver!? You would think if Windows was gonna make it available to upgrade your OS to 8 that they would have all this straitened out.  Now I have to get rid of 8 just so I can have WiFi! 

1 Message

November 9th, 2012 07:00

I got this working on my XPS Studio 16 by doing the following:

Step 1.

Download drivers from intel for 

Search: 

Product family : Wireless Networking

Product line: Intel® Centrino® Wi-Fi Products

Product name: Intel® WiFi Link 5300 and Intel® WiFi Link 5100 products 

Result: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7*

I selected Windows 7 64 bit drivers (no Win 8 are listed)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Step 2: 

Right click downloaded file and run click Properties > Compatibility

Run in windows 7 compatibility mode (see screenshot)

Step 3:

Run driver installer, after this installed it worked for me for the first time - Good Luck

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 14:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community.

Kindly let me know the complete system model so that I can assist you better.

In case you are referring to Studio XPS 16, I would like to inform that Windows 8 compatible drivers are not available on our drivers page. Drivers would get uploaded once they are tested and stable.

I have also forwarded the details to the team concerned.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 18:00

tara6667,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

If you need further assistance, maybe DELL-Manshu S has some suggestions. Sometimes installing the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 8 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 8 64-bit in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode might help.

Rick

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 18:00

I only had vista service pack 1 not 2.. and everyone has told me that no matter what I do it won't work.. at one point I had a lady from windows chatting with me controlling my computer to see if I had anything that could possibly work and she found nothing.  She was the most help I've had so far.

It just upsets me that I wasn't warned before I purchased and installed windows 8 that my WiMAX driver wouldn't be compatible.  I looked over EVERYTHING beforehand making sure since I was going from Vista to 8 and nothing said that or I wouldn't have done it.  I love everything about Windows 8 except that obviously, so I hope there's a fix soon for it!!!

1 Message

November 8th, 2012 18:00

I ran into the same problem too.  But I shudder at the thought of rolling back to Vista.

I am thinking of getting a Wifi extender with an ethernet port and connect it. Since most extenders are themselves quite portable, I can get on with this setup for a while at home.

Any idea if there is anyone trying to build drivers for these older cards?

Cheers

4 Posts

November 8th, 2012 19:00

I thought about trying it but I'm just too skeptical.  What I really wish is Windows could at least give an estimate of when the WiFi drivers would be updated for laptops.  I don't know about anyone trying to build any more drivers either.. if you find anything out please repost! I'm starting college in January and if it's not up by then I'm going to have to go back to Vista but I REALLY don't want to do that.

4 Posts

November 9th, 2012 21:00

I actually got it but not doing exactly that.. the first time I got an error message then read into it... it gives you two different options when you download it.. the s64 is what you downloaded but I downloaded the Ds64 I believe it is whatever the other option is because I already had the driver previously I just needed it updated I guess?  I didn't need to alter anything as far as compatibility it let me right on!  Thank you for the help!! Hope this helps other users as well!

1 Message

December 26th, 2012 14:00

When can we expect these drivers ? I have purchased Windows 8 but I cant install it because of Wireless Driver issue. 

1 Message

October 21st, 2013 10:00

Hello Manshu,

Have drivers for the Studio XPS 16 been released for Windows 8, yet. I just upgraded to Windows 8 and I can't seem to install the chipset driver or the graphics driver.

Service Tag :

Best,

Sahil

No Events found!