Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 29th, 2016 12:00

windows 10 drivers for DW 1705

My bluetooth hasn't worked since I did a clean install of Windows 7 about a year ago. I was hoping it would work after upgrading to Win 10.  The WiFi works with the drivers from Windows update, versions 3.0.2.182 for WiFi and 10.0.1.1 for Bluetooth.  When   I try to install the drivers on this site for my service tag ( Service tag removed per privacy policy>) , the installation fails.  I finally notice the drivers on the site are for the DW 1704 which I believe is a Broadcom card.  The device manager definitely says qualcomm atheros 1705.  This has probably been my problem from the get go.  What two drivers should I install for this card? And, maybe the driver page page can be updated.  It was upgraded April last year after I complained the video driver and USB 3 drivers were out of date or missing  for window 7. 

1.8K Posts

February 29th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

Since you have an Inspiron 3542 and the Dell DW 1705 card this is what you want to install:

Dell Wireless 1705 WiFi + Bluetooth Driver Version 10.0.0.318, A00

Dell Wireless 1705 WiFi + Bluetooth Driver

This package provides Dell Wireless 1705 WiFi + Bluetooth Driver and is supported on Inspiron 3442/3542/5748 and Vostro Notebook 3446/3546 running the following Windows Operating Systems: Windows 10 32/64bit.
I hope this helps.  I'm concerned that you said bluetooth wasn't working in Win7 but hopefully this combined driver package will work for you.
Please let me know how it goes.
Todd

March 1st, 2016 12:00

I installed the update package.  The 1705 WiFi driver updated to 10.0.0318.  The bluetooth driver is still 10.0.1.1  . The Bluetooth now works.  My internet connection speed to my phone via bluetooth is only 1M  as opposed to 15M when I connect via WiFi or USB tethering, but it does work. Thank you so much.

The driver page for my service tag still lists a 1704 driver for my service tag for Windows 7,  so that was likely my problem with 7.  The drivers that window update has are not ideal for the dell configuration.  This computer was probably one of the last that Dell built with windows 7.  When I had to do a clean install (I downloaded the 7 installation disc from digital river just before they took it off the site) I found the driver page for the service tag lacked several of the drivers I needed.  I found them by searching this forum. Unfortunately I thought that if the driver was listed, it was the right one.  I think I thought that the 1704 and 1705 cards were different models of the same card.  After reading this this thread on this sight a year ago, the last three posts particularly, I gave up and figured it was a losing battle.

en.community.dell.com/.../19614765 ;

It was only after I recently started to read the all the posts relating to both cards that I realized my mistake.

If you have any further advice, let me know.

Dan

No Events found!