Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2010 07:00

wireless card not enabled(or working) even though showing enabled in device manager (studio1735,vista)

Hi There. I have been going crazy trying to figure out what to do about my wireless card. I have gone to the device manager and enabled and disabled just to try and jump start it. It is not finding any networks and when I ran ipconfig it told me it was disconnected!! wifi is turned on.

Here is the history. Since I have bought this laptop I repeatedly would have to "repair" the adapter in order to maintain my internet connection. Recently, I am not sure if it was a vista update (had several problems with those) or the fact I got FIOS, but it just stopped finding networks. It worked great for about a week...then poof. I am wondering if it is dead or if something is just not connecting with it. It puzzles me that the device manager says it is working properly and enabled but the Dell Wireless WLan Card Utility tells me "there are currently no wireless adapters available and enabled."

I have completely reimaged this computer in the past and that didn't improve the problem...but I have not done it again (as it is a pain to reinstall all my software) since this issue.

What I would like to know is if there is something I can do to get it running properly or if I need to purchase a new wireless card.

If I need a new card I could use some references on where it is located and what is recommended to replace it with.

Here are the specs

dell studio 1735 (laptop)  Windows Vista (up to date on all updates)

wireless card: dell wireless 1510 wireless-N W Lan mini card

---driver has been updated (or actually it keeps telling me it is up to date when I try)

Thanks for any help!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2010 18:00

wuoj,

When you reinstalled, did you use...

Method 1

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

or

Method 2

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Did you install the notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? if not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

I recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. If you use these settings and have the latest firmware in the wireless router, you should have a good connection. Can you connect in the safe mode(tap F*) with networking?

Rick 

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 01:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for replying. I am a bit frustrated trying to solve this as it does not seem to fit anything I have tried to search on. It is also preventing me from purchasing another dell as this one has to be working perfectly before I hand it down to my husband.

Not sure which method I used to reimage I basically just backed up the personal files on the computer and reset it to factory...I guess method 1. Except I didn't backup any data on my machine just reinstalled everything one by one. I have had wireless connection since then...I think it was end of last year I did the reimaging.

I cannot get into my modem to reset any settings. It is not accepting the admin/password admin/(blank). The modem was installed about a month ago and did work fine for a week on this one. My other computers connect to it fine and still do.

I think I am already using channel 11. Is that the IZC IBSS channel number?

How do you connect in safe mode? I do not understand using "F and [asterisk]". when do you tap that?

sorry I am unfamiliar with some of these techniques

Thanks!

--Jenn

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2010 04:00

Jenn,

To enter the safe mode with networking, restart your computer and tap F8 on startup.

You can try system restore, since you said this worked a month ago.

Are you using a program to manage your connection of do you have Windows manage your connection?

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Windows Vista

I'm not as familiar with the manufacturers of the wireless cards. Try running Finding System Information at the bottom, you'll see your network adapters. Copy and paste them back here. If it's an Intel adapter, you can try the latest drivers at Intel® Driver Update Utility for Intel® wireless adapters

Rick

No Events found!