Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2014 15:00

Dell PowerConnect 7048P Stack Questions

Hello,

I have two 7048P L3 switches that I'd like to stack but I"m unsure on how it works. Both switches have the same firmware.

1. Do they both have to have the same configuration running on both for that to work?

2. Also, I created a Voice VLAN (3) on the first switch with an IP of 10.0.3.254. Would I use the same IP address on the second switch within VLAN 3 as well or assign a different one?

Thanks!

• 

8.5K Posts

August 21st, 2014 16:00

Hi nerdflife,

When you stack the switches it essentially creates one big switch. So they do not have to have the same configuration to start with because after the stack is created the master of the stack will push its config to the member switches. That will include the voice vlan, so it won’t need to be configured on the other switch.

98 Posts

August 21st, 2014 16:00

There is a guide specifically for stacking the 7048 switch on the Dell Networking whitepapers page:

en.community.dell.com/.../2580.networking-guides.aspx

Just search for "Stacking Dell PowerConnect 7000 Series Switches".  Page 16 will tell you how to add a new member to the stack with minimum interuptions. The two must only have the same firmware in order to stack.  So the answer to question 1 is no, the configurations don't need to match in order for them to stack.  Once stacked, the two will look like a single switch, and you will only use the IP address of the master swtich for the entire stack.  From that point, treat both switches as a single switch when configuring.  The guide provides more information on how this works.

Hope this was helpful.

-Victor

26 Posts

August 22nd, 2014 09:00

Awesome. Thanks for the answers guys. That clears up a lot!

No Events found!