Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AT

December 1st, 2017 03:00

Force 10 spanning tree help

Hi,

We have two data centers, each has a pair of S4810's connected together via VLT, in each DC the top switch as a RSTP priority of 4096 and the bottom 8192, so far so good, VLT is happy :)

There is now a business requirement to connect the two DCs together via a L2 sudo-wire so that one VLAN can be stretched across the two DCs. This is because and application needs to fail over for DR and CAN'T be re-ip'ed

What will happen when the connection is made? We need each DC to have a root bridge. 

Is there any way to disable RSTP, MSTi PVST on the interface where the sudo-wire will be connected, as there is no way a L2 loop can happen as the DCs are geographically separate.

We are not looking to achieve rooted VLT etc, the objective is to just stretch a single VLAN over and L2 link.

Hope this makes sense and someone can help please?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 1st, 2017 08:00

Disabling spanning tree on that interface should work just fine. The command should be:

# no spanning tree 0

Page 764: http://dell.to/2i74cNW

If you left spanning tree enabled, and both switches were set to root, then I believe it would come down to the MAC address to elect root. Your idea of disabling is probably the quickest and easiest method.

84 Posts

December 1st, 2017 12:00

Hi Daniel,

Thanks, I hope your right and the switch has a version of FTOS that supports this.

No Events found!