Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2012 10:00

Is anyone using a PowerConnect 5548 w/HyperV? We are looking for some details on how to get started utilizing vlans

Hello,

I would like to accomplish the following:

* Setup a range of VLANs

* example ( accounting =10 , Lab=20, ISCSI=30 )

How can we configure the switch to pass any and all VLAN traffic between hyper-v servers?   Can we put the switch into general trunk mode to just pass tagged frames throughout the device?

We would like to ONLY CONFIGURE VLAN id's at the virtual layer and not have to define static ports on the device...just have the device pass any we define at the virtual layer.   (pass all tagged frames ideally)

We "thought" that we could do this without touching the device but it does not appear possible.

We've tried to get some straight forward answers and find documents on the PowerEdge OpenManage web-interface...but have not found much.  We've tried to configure 1 port that our server is connected to and change it from Access to General or/ Trunk...but we don't yet understand how to put the full switch into a mode that will pass ALL TAGGED frames as described above.

We are a bit new to this so apologies if unclear.

Any help would be appreciated!

thank you.

802 Posts

May 2nd, 2012 11:00

To configure a range of VLANs:

console# configure

console(config)# vlan database

console(config-vlan)# vlan 1-100

console(config-vlan)# exit

Then to name each vlan:

console(config)# interface vlan 10

console(config-if)# name accounting

console(config-if)# end

console#

Here is a link to a Lab set up for Hyper-V with a general environment description and the a link to the switch config for that Lab.  

en.community.dell.com/.../3018.aspx

en.community.dell.com/.../sample-switch-configuration.aspx

This should help give you an overview of a typical set up.  Let us know if you have any further specific questions.

40 Posts

May 6th, 2012 14:00

Willy,

Thank you for the details.  I finally got some limited testing to work and familiarized myself a bit more with both HyperV & the switch. 

No Events found!