Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2018 08:00

Roaming wifi device blocked?

I have a wiered issue with my wireless device being blocked when it switches to one of my APs. I have two PowerConnect 5548 network switches and 4 ubiquity AP's. One of the powerconnet's is my core switch. The other one is my garage switch. They are connected together by a fiber line. One of the APs is connected to the garage PowerConnect. The other three are the house APs. All of the house AP's are connected to a single port on my core switch through a few consumer grade switches.

My phone switches to the house AP's flawlessly. When I go to my garage, the phone attempts to switch. If it does switch to the garage AP, I have no interent untill I reset the conection on my phone. Then it works fine. It seems like the one of the PowerConnects is failing to update the new path to my phone. Does this sound right? Is there a way around this? Any help would be greatly  apricaited.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2018 22:00

Sorry for the delay and thank you for responding. I fixed it. Does this form have a stupidity of the year award? Because, I think I may have won it. LOL :)

The SNTP server wasn't set up. So the time was completely wrong. Not sure how that affects the AP, but I just tested it and it worked.

Thanks for the help. If you didn't ask for the log file, I don't think I would have ever noticed the time error.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 15th, 2018 08:00

It doesn't sound quite like a switch issue. Have you checked the garage AP to ensure that the phone is connecting to it? It almost sounds like the phone is not roaming to the garage AP and is trying to still connect to the house AP. Are the AP up to date on firmware? Is fast roaming enabled on the AP? Are the switches reporting any errors?       # show logging

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 19th, 2018 05:00

Great job hunting that down! I would not have thought to check SNTP for this issue.

Cheers

No Events found!