Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2016 21:00

[SOLVED] Power Up A Stack

I've just received 5 pc6248s and I want to build them into a stack.

1. The switches are all used so do I have to factory reset them before building them into a stack?

2. From what I read in the Dell Technical White Paper I have to power up the switches sequentially (the manager, the stand-by,...). Do I have always to power up the stack that way or is it just applied one time when building the stack?

Thanks all.

212 Posts

November 29th, 2016 07:00

Hi TnD,

It is doubtful a factory default needs to be done.  If however they are all new to your network, it would be best to clear out the configurations beforehand, and make sure they all have the same firmware before connecting them.  When building the stack you will want to power them up sequentially starting with the master then standby, etc. This should only need to be done once, during the initial build.  As long as you are powering down and powering up all stack member switches about the same time (there is a window of like 20 or 30 seconds), then the stack will stay intact just as you first created it.  If you want to be completely safe when you need to unplug all of them for some reason (to physically move them, for example) you can unplug the members, then the standby, then the master last.  This should ensure that no fail-over takes place.  

Hope this helps.

-B

5 Posts

November 29th, 2016 18:00

Hi BARRETT,

Thank you very much for the helpful answer.

In fact, the company I work for is rather small and it does not require to maintain a 24/7 network. The powering up (and powering down also) the stack is a everyday procedure so I want to be sure that procedure makes no harm to the network.

Thanks again for the very detailed answer.

No Events found!