Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2008 10:00

Achieving best performance for PowerEdge 2850, RAID0, partition, sector alignment, Windows 2008 Server

I have Poweredge 2850 with RAID 0.

Want to install Windows 2008 Server. Currently using Windows 2003 R2.
The problem is my current hard drive partition clustering and alignment which
is not optimized for database I/O performance.

The disk has 1 partition formatted with default 512 byte clusters and default alignment.

Windows 2003 uses the first 63 sectors for volume information before the start of the first partition,
causing the first partition to start on the last sector of the first track.

Typical database writes out data in 4,000 chunks so every eighth I/O will cross a track boundary,
resulting in additional latency on the I/O request. Using the DiskPart utility before formatting the drive,
the alignment can be set so that the first partition begins with a sector offset alignment of 64,
rather than the default 63, which causes the first partition to begin on a new track without incurring
any track overlapping.  

Now the question is - which steps Dell recommends in order to prepare the disk for Windows Server 2008
installation?

Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

November 21st, 2008 15:00

"I have Poweredge 2850 with RAID 0"

You really like living on the edge (raid 0).

"which steps does Dell recommends in order to prepare the disk for Windows Server 2008
installation?"

I pretty sure Dell recommends using anything but raid 0, as the first step.  :emotion-3:

What you want to read is the link below, Windows 2008 aligns better than 2003 as a default.....

Performance tuning Guidelines for Windows Server 2008

Jump down to.....    

Block Alignment (DISKPART) pg 30

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/Perf-tun-srv.docx

Also see         Tuning on the database server  pg 76

I would read the entire paper, loaded with very good info, I picked up a number of registry tweaks from it.

Not sure if 2008 crushes the 2003 partitons automatically, so to make sure the new alignment takes place, delete all 2003 partitions during the 2008 install. 

Another link to forum posts....

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3666690&SiteID=17

Dell...surely this post is worth more than a measly 5 points; hope the turkey who doles out the points get his on Thanksgiving :emotion-1:

No Events found!