Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2009 15:00

Blue Screen "Beginning Dump of Physical Memory" & Blinking Cursor at Start up, maybe Harddrive issue?

Hi, greetings to all, Im Junn, New to Forums like this :emotion-2: I have Dell Dimension 4700 Desktop and I have this Blue Screen popping up from time to time. and then when I restart, blinking cursor like a small line in the top left corner of the screen is the only thing i see? so I restart it again  and again and again and again (rebooting) until i finally get into MS XP intro screen then im okay. I have this feeling that my Harddrive is about to quit anytime plus my harddrive is almost full ! Im thnking of replacing it now before it quit on me :emotion-9:  Unortunately Ive learned last night that my Extended 2 year Warranty has been Expired ! since November 08. So no help from Dell (as per the lady I spoke last ngiht for tech support), Am i Doing the Right THing? my RAM memory I guess is enough - i have 2.5 GB of RAM.  If Im going to replace the Harddrive what is the Maximum limit of my system? can my Dell 4700 handle 1TB Harddrive? Dell is selling this Seagate barracuda 1.5 TB is this compatible for my Dell 4700? its kind of expensive shall I look further? the only reason Im buying it from Dell is that Im hoping they will send me an instruction how to install it to my PC, in which they usually do when I order stuff from them when I was still on warranty. Please Help, Please Help,:emotion-6: ..and thank you for your time  my friends reading my long message.:emotion-1:........

5 Posts

Hi, thanks for so quick response,  Wow thats a good price I will definitely check it out , I hope 1 TB is still compatible with my Old Dell4700 :emotion-1:what is SP? My Old HD is 80 GB, when Im doing Defrag it sez I have only 13% free space, no error message so far

its just this BlueScreen popping up:)

126 Posts

Junn

Welcome to the Dell forums!

New Egg.com may be a place to see an excellent WD 1TB for $100 US delivered.

How long since you re-installed your OS? What is your OS and SP? How large is your old HD? What % of HD is full? Are there any error messages?

126 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 17:00

Look on your re-install disc, does it say SP2 or SP3? There is a trick to getting Windows to recognize any more than 137 GB unless it is up to a certain SP.

How long have you been operating the computer since the operating system has been installed? Windows is only good for a couple of years before the inevitable installation.

Download CCleaner (free) from download.com; and run it.

One stratagy is to keep your old disc, and re-install your OS on it; and buy a big drive for your data, aslong as the disc is in good shape. Update it to SP3 in Windows update(if needed), than install and format the other drive.

No Events found!