Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 30th, 2009 11:00

Broadband stopped working - Network Adapters disappeared?

Can anyone help - i've got an old Dell 2350 and a couple of times my broadband has stopped working. I can connect my work computer to it wirelessly fine, but the 2350 will not connect even though its a cabel in the back vs. wireless. In the past i've opened up the control panel, system,hardwarde, device manager and noticed that couple with yellow triangle exclamation marks. I've fixed these by reinstalling and all has gone back to nromal ... i was pretty sure these were under "network adapters", but now there is only one network adapter listed and that is listed as working fine. Does this sound familiar ... any idea how i can reinstall the other network adapters as i'm sure there were 2 or maybe 3 there before. And/or any ideas what might be causing this, as i say i know the broadband is working as my laptop connects wirelessly and i've turned off the dial-up setting so no idea why it won't work. Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 31st, 2009 06:00

Hi, mbg1972:

All of the components needed to access the internet are part of the TCP/IP stack (a geek term). MS has a wizard to reset the TCP/IP stack, which you can start from this page. That should fix this and not mess up your network card drivers.

Let me know if that worked.

3 Posts

November 1st, 2009 12:00

Hi - thanks for the suggestion, i tried that but still not working. I can access the internet via dial-up on the desktop so modem def. ok, and as i say the broadband is working as my work laptop can use it so something's up on the laptop. Its annoying as i followed the fix below before which is why i'm sure there were some additional listings in network adaptors than the single broadcom that is currently shown. If you've got any other ideas i'll happily give it a go :-)

T o check your Ethernet card is [working properly], please take the following steps:  

Check your network adapter is working - Windows XP/2000

1. Click on Start  
  2.   Right click on the My Computer icon and select Properties
  3. Click on the Hardware tab
  4. Click on Device Manager
  5. Click on plus (+) symbol next to Network Adapters
    • a. A device with a red cross is disabled
    • b. To re-enable, right click on the device and click Enable
    • c. A device with a yellow exclamation mark should be re-installed and the customer should be advised to do so.
  6. Right click on the adapter that you wish to check and click on Properties
  7. Click on the General tab
  8. Ensure the Device Status reads “This device is working properly”
No Events found!