Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2008 09:00

CD/DVD Rom reading slower.....

Hi - I cannot figure this one out. I have a Dell Dimension E510 Desktop. My cd/dvd rom is all of a sudden reading slower. It is a HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR8164B factory installed component. When I burn cd to cd, I notice the speed never going above 12x. Itpreviously used to go up to 47x. Also, when uploadload songs from a cd to ITunes. it uploads them slower too. When I do the same with the burner (Philips DVD + RW 8801), everything works fine. I've changed nothing. I peformed trouble shooting on the drive, and nothing was found wrong. No further updates were found either. Why would this slow down, and the computer find nothing wrong with it? Can somebaody please help me with this? Would be greatly appreciated, as this is annoying.....

Thanks.

cjp2371

25 Posts

November 28th, 2008 07:00

Look in device manager and check your ide controllers to make sure they are still set to dma mode (properties, advanced).  After xp detects 5 (i think) rom errors it reverts to pio mode.  To reset you need to uninstall drivers and reboot. which will re-enumerate the drivers giving you a fresh start.  If you simply reset to dma without doing this they will not stay.

No Events found!