Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2008 12:00

Degraded RAID XPS 400

I have a XPS 400 Desk top. When I turn on the system I see Degraded RAID. What does this mean? After reading the forums..I am figuring out that one of my mirrored hard drives is bad. I purchased this system 2 yrs ago. How can this be fixed? Any suggestions?

6.4K Posts

November 14th, 2008 11:00

If you are getting this message you have a hard drive that is failing or has failed.  I figure you must be using RAID 1 because if you were using RAID 0 your computer would have difficulty booting.

You will need to determine which drive has failed.  You may be able to do this by using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager that should be installed on your computer.  Bringing it up should show you the status of all drives associated with the RAID.  Once you have found out whether the problem is SATA 0 or SATA 1 you can repair the problem by replacing the bad drive.  If you are happy with the size of the hard drive you have already, purchase a new drive that is the same size as the old one and plug it in.  The RAID manager should start to rebuild the array as soon as you have started the computer.  If not, wait until the computer finishes its boot process, start the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, and select the option to rebuild the array.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2008 20:00

What if the hard drive passes the hard drive tests?

I have two Maxtor 6V160E0 drives and I ran the Maxtor Hard Drive Test from a bootable CD and it found no errors.

Could it be the cable or mother board?

Thanks,
Brad

No Events found!