Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2009 15:00

Dell AIO 922 printer

Hello.  I previously had no problems with my printer, but after reconnecting it to my computer after having my computer serviced, I cannot print a second page with this printer.  It prints the first page fine, but when it gives me the prompt to insert the paper for the second page, and I insert the paper, the printer does nothing.  I can't understand this.  Can someone please offer any help here?  ?  Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 20th, 2009 16:00

kdlatsha,

I'm thinking on the line that maybe the driver got messsed up when it was being repaired. Follow the instructions below to re-install the printer. Let me know what happens.

Please make sure you have all Windows Updates, especially .net framework, (needed to run many applications) and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch (a MUST with Vista machines) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

18 Posts

June 20th, 2009 17:00

Rick, thank you so much, but I was not able to follow these directions exactly.  When I located the Abbyy folder and right clicked, there was no setup.exe for me to choose.  So, I really don't know what the problem is.  Your instructions are very detailed, and I appreciate that and your time to respond to me.  BTW, I live in Pa., too, about 2 hours north of Harrisburg/Hershey. 

Thanks.

Kathy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 21st, 2009 03:00

Kathy,

I don't know what the extent of scanning you would want to do. The OCR program is needed to scan from documents to Microsoft Word or similar. If you don't care about scanning to that, then it's a non-issue. If you cannot locate the program with these instructions,

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Then, you will need to download a FREE OCR program from the internet. I used to use Simple OCR but you need to create an account to download it for free.

Rick

18 Posts

June 21st, 2009 13:00

Thanks, Rick.  I don't do much scanning, but it was a bit inconvenient that the printer wasn't automatically printing a page 2.  I still can't seem to get the printer to work properly.  I guess maybe I should have had someone come to the house to service my computer and check things out instead of my disconnecting the computer and taking it to someone for servicing.

Thanks for your replies.  You are very kind. 

Kathy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 21st, 2009 15:00

Kathy,

What is the make and model of your computer and operating system and how are you connected to the printer, usb, correct? I still have a few things we can try. :emotion-5:

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 21st, 2009 18:00

Kathy,

You don't happen to have a Dell Studio 1536, do you?

Do you have the Operating System Disks that came with the computer?

I can walk you through a system repair which will correct the problem your having and get you back and running, without losing any files and folders.

Rick

No, I'm NOT laughing.

18 Posts

June 21st, 2009 18:00

Rick, my computer is a Dell Windows XP Home Edition (desk top), and yes, I believe my printer is connected via USB.  There is a black box-type plug and a separate silver-colored cord (which I assume is the USB) plugged into the back right-hand side of the printer.  (I hope you aren't laughing too hard, lol, at my description here...)  LOL...  :emotion-1:

Kathy

18 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 17:00

Rick, I don't think I have a Dell Studio 1536, and yes, I have discs that came with the computer.  You are sure I wouldn't lose any files or folders?  ?  :emotion-2:

Kathy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 18:00

Kathy,

Since you have XP and the disks, this will be simple. But I always warn everyone to make copies of files and folders that they cannot afford to lose. This should be a normal practice as if your hard drive failed today, would you have the files and folders you need. I have done this a few times on my Dell computer with no problems. I tried this on a HP/Compaq computer and everything gets wiped.

Disconnect the printer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Insert the Operating system disk and restart your computer.

Press any key to boot from the cd.

Choose install.

Do the agreement.

Now choose repair. Leave the Operating System Disk in the computer until you see the Welcome Screen. Takes about 35 minutes. Then you have to go and get all the Windows Updates, again(more painful). Everything should still be there and intact.

After you restart the computer after you're done with Windows Updates, then install the XP Drivers for your printer. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on) Please use a 5ft or smaller USB Cable.

Rick

18 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 19:00

Rick, I can't seem to get this printer to work.  I truly don't understand it.  I thank you so very much for your patience and time trying to help me.  You certainly seem like a computer genius.  I guess if I try to print something that is more than one page in length, I will probably just print each page separately.  It is so frustrating.  I don't want to continuously take up your time now, and I thank you very much for everything you have tried to do.  Maybe something inside the printer has been damaged.  I simply don't know.

It's been nice chatting with you like this.  How nice that you are from Pennsylvania, too, Amish country yet!  :)  Thank you again.

Kathy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 20:00

Kathy,

Did you try doing the Operating System repair like I described above. You need to dosconnect the printer first, then run that patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart your computer. Insert the operating system disk and then restart your computer.

Choose install, do the agreement, then choose repair. It should repair your system in 35 minutes. You will need to get Windows Updates again. Make sure to get the custom updates, especialle .net framework.

Then when you're finally finished, then install the printer drivers first and then you''ll be prompted to connect the computer.

Everything should work almost like new, unless the printer has a problem.

Unplug the printer from the wall. Remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. this will reset any error messages the printer is getting. Plug everything back in. Open the printer with the power on and remove the Dell Series 5 black ink cartridge and make sure the tape is off the cartridge, then reseat the cartridge back in. Now do the same for the Dell Series 5 color cartridge. Now when you close the printer, it should print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them and cannot be refilled. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges They can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's website.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

18 Posts

June 24th, 2009 17:00

Rick, I am a bit afraid to "wipe my computer clean" so to speak, as I fear that I might do something requiring me to take it to be serviced.  I thought there might be an easy solution to the printer problem.  I ran the patch to remove the printer from the system and then to reinstall the drivers, and I think I did that correctly, but the printer still does not automatically print a page 2.  I can manually print a page 2, as I could before, but it does not automatically print page 2.  To my knowledge, my ink cartridges appear okay. 

Thank you so much for everything.

Kathy

No Events found!