Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 7th, 2018 17:00

Images, inserted in my post are only visible to myself

Few hours ago, I've started a new thread. I've added 3 images in the text of my post, using "Photos" button in the default "rich text" editor.

Now (e.g. few hours after posting that), after refreshing a page, I only see placeholders instead of the my images. (Because this new forum logs you out and there's no "remember me" checkbox). But... After logging in I do see them again.

When logged inWhen logged inNot logged in or other userNot logged in or other user

This clearly looks like a bug. Or... Am I doing something wrong?

Do you see images in this post? Do you see images in that post?

56 Posts

April 23rd, 2018 10:00

dell-robert p said: 

images posted by users are not visible on the forums.  This is working as designed.  You will have to use a web hosting service like imageblur or photobucket to host your images and create a link to them in your posts..

OK, let's test this. Here's a small test image. A can on coke. The link I've pasted to the "Photos" form is "https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fa/New_Coke_can.jpg/80px-New_Coke_can.jpg".

Here's the result:

Test image - can on coke. Hosted on wikimedia.Test image - can on coke. Hosted on wikimedia.

Just as one should expect, the image was downloaded by the forum's engine, and now it's in my "gallery". Just like if I use "upload from HDD".

----------------------------------------------------------------

OK, let's try plain HTML:

And here's the result:

OK. This one seem to work OK. (Even when I'm not logged in.) The first one is broken.

Moreover, if I simply copy-paste the url of the image, and CTRL+V it to this "RICH TEXT" editor view - it automatically generates the correct HTML code.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So, after all:

1. It is possible to insert any image. Just use direct links and plain HTML.
  2. There's no premoderation. FAQ lies.
  3. The "Photos" button in the editor UI is broken - your images would be sent to pre-moderation queue and they would never get "pre-moderated". Dell considers this "as designed".

56 Posts

April 8th, 2018 06:00

Ah.. OK, after all I've found this in the FAQ. It explains the issue. Mystery solved. The issue is still here. Thus, I've posted this as an idea on dell ideastorm. Please consider upvoting it, if you agree.

============================================================

My friends can't see the images I've uploaded. Where are they?

For your protection, your community requires a moderator to approve all uploaded images before they can be displayed. Although you can see your uploaded images that are awaiting approval or flagged for review, other community members who view your images can only see the ones that have been approved.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 12th, 2018 09:00

@i3vi3vi3v"OK, after all I've found this in the FAQ. "

Thank you so much for posting that link. I had never seen those instructions before. I would have no idea of the existence of that page if not for your link.

"awaiting approval or flagged for review"

Now to get a moderator interested in appointing someone to actually do that chore. As of now they might be no more aware of this than I was.

56 Posts

April 12th, 2018 15:00

@Jim Coates,

Yep, that's funny that FAQ is so invisible, that even Diamond user was not aware of its existence :smileyhappy:. But this one is at least present in the "My Profile" menu.

I've recently found another, much more hidden thing - the "My Unmoderated Items" section. It looks like there's absolutely no link to that place anywhere (except the moment when you've just modified your post and submitted it). I've even submitted an idea, asking to make it more visible. But it looks like they've accidentally(?) marked all my ideas but one as "Archived". (Yet another s-p-а-m detection false positive?)

>Now to get a moderator interested in appointing someone to actually do that chore. As of now they might be no more aware of this than I was.

Well, I'm currently chatting with dell-robert p in PM. Maybe I'll ask him what he thinks about it, after we would finish with two other my posts, that are currently marked as s-p-а-m (and even following his suggestions doesn't fix this). 

56 Posts

April 26th, 2018 15:00

deleted

No Events found!