Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2009 19:00

Inspiron 6000 works only when the battery pack is removed.

Dell Inspiron 6000 - Windows XP Home SP3 - 80 GB HDD - 1 GB RAM

Recently, my original 40 GB Hard Disk died on me and had to replace it with a Seagate 80 GB HardDisk.  Reinstalled XP.  Last week the battery totally drained after 3 years.  Pressing the button on the battery pack, lights on the pack would go on and off couple of times.  Replaced the battery pack.  Worked well.  Reinstalled OS and patched up SP3.  Since yesterday, with the battery pack on, when the Power Key is pressed, Num Lock, Caps Lock would come alive along with the Power and HDD Led lights.  Num Lock and Caps Lock would go off.  Hard Disk would make noise like it is about o start the boot process, but would not continue and HDD led would go off.  Power LED would stay on.  Pressing the Power button would swith off the LED.  Any numer of times result in the same outcome.  If I remove the battery pack, all works well and the boot sequence continues.  Pressing the button on the battery pack shows full charge.  Appreciate response to resolve this issue.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2009 21:00

I think the problem is solved.  I googled with the above info and did the following.

1.  Remove Battery Pack

2.  Disconnect AC Supply

3.  Press Power Buton for almost 10 seconds.

4.  Put the Battery Pack on and also connect the AC supply.

5.  Switch on the Laptop.

Has worked ever since with both battery and ac inputs.  Powered down the system couple of times and did a cold start.  Looks good for now.  Unable to explain why this works, but it works.

No Events found!