Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2009 09:00

KEYBOARD LOGIN PROBLEM

Hi,

I have run into a couple of problems and hope you can help.

1. The keyboard is not responding but the mouse is. I have changed batteries and no change. I can open the easy access and use the onscreen keyboard, but still get the below error.

2. Logging on to the start screen (Login) I get "User Service Profile Failed"

I am responding from a seperate laptop.

Thanks for your assistance.

J.D.

67 Posts

July 29th, 2009 19:00

Sorry, Im back, here is a first set of instructions.

To repair the windows Vista account in safe mode to fix the error "User Service Profile Failed"

Alright, Please log into safe mode if you are not already running in safe mode already.

If you are not in safe mode, restart or start up the computer and press the F8 key untill a menu comes up with multiple options, please chose Logon in safe mode.

When your computer fully starts up, First click on start and type in REGEDIT into the White search aria.

REGEDIT could ask you for a password or a comfirmation, enter in your password or press the continue buton if asked to do so.

In REGEDIT on the left hand side In regedit, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

to do so you must first Click on the little triangle next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

then Click the little triangle next to SOFTWARE

then Click the little triangle next to Microsoft

Then click the little triangle next o Windows NT

then click the little triangle next to Current

Then click the little triangle next to Version

Then click the little triangle next to ProfileList

Have you completed this successfully?

If you click (on the left hand side) on the yellow ProfileList, a small bunch of Entries will apear they should look like mines,

S-1-5-18

S-1-5-19

S-1-4-20

S-1-5-21-....etc...1000

S-1-5-21-....etc...1001

ere looking for the regular one and the .BAK , let go there to get started.

28 Posts

July 29th, 2009 19:00

I've been there for quite some time, Ready

67 Posts

July 29th, 2009 20:00

I did not know, but should have that this website blocks outside links (links to diferent websites etc.)

if you go to google and search User Service Profile Failed , the first link will contain vistax64 and should lead you right to the guide

Lets try to get you to that website, pictures could be helpfull

67 Posts

If you are not at the webpage thats not a problem at all, we dont need pictures, we need to just set the numbers right in your registry.

67 Posts

We need to create State and set the value to Zero, then close regedit restart the computer and see what haptens.

28 Posts

Refcount was already set at 0

The one with bak doen not have "State"  it only has Default, ProfileImagePath, and RunLoginScriptS...

67 Posts

I will be out of town tonight, but have the following:

S-1-15-18

S-1-15-19

S-1-15-20

S-1-15-21 }

S-1-15-21}  (These two are identical except bottom one one ends in" bak")

I do have the original recovery disks, but was saving as last resort.  I should be back on Wednesday, 6PM Central.

Thanks

Sorry for the lagg im still getting used to the new keyboard layoutof my new computer here.

We are going to use this webpage as a guide (it contains helpfull pictures.

We are currently at OPTION ONE / FIX USER ACCOUNT PROFILE

In one of the pictures you will see:

You want to check both s-1-5-21 folders on the right hand side (profileimagepath) that the correct account is being repaired (to make sure)

We want to Right click on the top 1-5-21 and chose rename from the drop down menu, then we want to add .bk to the end of the numbers (there is a picture on the site you can see)

--------------------

Now you want to Right click on the bottom s-1-5-21 file and Chose rename from the drop down menu and Remove the .bak from the end of the numbers

-----------------------

Now you want to go back to the top one you first modified and Rick click on it and chose Rename from the drop down menu - Rename the first one again and replace the .bk with .bak at the end of the numbers.

28 Posts

How do we create State?

28 Posts

I have that website open. 

The new profile list has only three entries where the one without bak has nine entries

67 Posts

Also if there is anything you are not sure of simply double check with me, I should reply pretty fast from my new laptop.. no more lagg =)

P.S this is the hardest part up there, after doing that correctly it just gets easier and then done!.

28 Posts

Next move?

67 Posts

In the right pane of the one without .bak now, right click on RefCount and click on the modify on the right side there (step 8) there is a picture on that site)

if you do not have a RefCount,  right click on a empty space on the right side and click New and DWORD (32 bit) Value, then type RefCount and press Enter. Set the value to Zero ( 0 ) This value is going to work.

--------------------

In the right pane of the one without .bak now, right click on State and click on Modify. (VALUE should be set to Zero) 0

Your value should be like the picture in step 10 Picture.

28 Posts

There was no web page shown?

67 Posts

28 Posts

I'm not at the webpage, please advise

No Events found!