Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2008 04:00

Long Wait for Studio XPS [435MT]?

I ordered the new Dell Studio XPS on 11/21/2008 and was notified that it would almost take a month for me to get it (Est. Ship Date:12/17/2008 and Est. Delivery Date:12/22/2008-12/24/2008). I was wondering why it would take so long to get a desktop created? I wasn't expecting such a large delay when i was looking in the cart it said "Preliminary Ship Date: 12/7/2008" when i ordered it. The only thing i changed was the Security Suite that i wanted preloaded. Can someone share me their experiance with this? Does it come early sometimes or late sometimes?

UPDATE: Delivery date is a conservative estimation. My Studio XPS was shipped on 12/3/2008 beating the "Preliminary Ship Date" i recieved when i ordered it. Almost 18 days total for the process.

38 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 11:00

I think those dates are probably worst case scenario. I ordered an XPS730X on 11/20 and the estimated ship date is 1/12/09 - almost 2 months! My last order was an XPS710 and they beat the ship date by several weeks.

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 13:00

No Its  the quadd core , 280 vid card , old school stuff one 300 g raptor hd,24 monitor ,. If they would bother to even tell me what part is holding them up instead of the can answers they give I would not be so mad lol . I hate spending 3k and gettin this level of support, I have two Alienwares now and I was heading over to Alienware to order a new one and cancle Dells order but I see Dell owns them now . so no more Alienware for me.

6 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 13:00

did the XPS710 you ordered had new technology few days of release? I'm being paranoid and thinking that maybe all our problems related to the Core I7. Would be nice to get any info from Dell.

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 15:00

Opps sorry I used a silly bad word and my post was deleted.

16 Posts

November 24th, 2008 15:00

Order mine same day and same delievery response

16 Posts

November 24th, 2008 15:00

Below is what I ordered.   Wish there was a 300GB, 10,000 RPM HDD drive available for order, but I will change that out my self to get a fast HDD plus add another.  Not too happy about  the ATI cards, wish there were NVIDIA available but that would require a bigger power supply and the current power supply is 350W.  Heard  the intel I7 processor is the same as the 2.66 and the extreme, difference is different speed steps and the extreme is overclockable and I would seriously question about buying an expensive XPS 730x

This is my first step and  migration to vista X64 and away from the current FSB processors.  Really want some thing like the XPS 630 style with a 17 next.  I have an XPS 720 and it is too big, heavy and runs like .

1 Studio XPS
1 Intel® Core™i7-940 Processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.93GHz)
1 12GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs
1 Dell USB Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
1 No Monitor
1 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850
1 500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
1 Dell Media Card Reader included in Dell Bluetooth Package
1 Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate SP1 64-bit
1 Dell Laser Mouse
1 Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet
1 No Modem Option
1 Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
1 Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
1 Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
1 No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
1 Microsoft Works 9
1 Norton Internet Security™ 2008 Edition 15-months
1 1Yr Ltd HW WRTY, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis, 24x7 Phone Support
1 Windows Vista™ Premium
1 Receive an E-mail for your Dell Remote Access

4 Posts

November 24th, 2008 16:00

Great choice on the cpu , One of the best deals out there.You can add two 75g 10k hd later in raid will work very nice. Im not sure but I think you can sli another Radeon 4850 , for very little money down the road. 64 vista is a must with that much ddr3 I think there is a free upgrade to 64 bit out there somewhere . Grats

29 Posts

November 28th, 2008 16:00

Nix on the additional 4850.  The remainder of the slots are x1's in the Studio XPS and won't work with a graphics card.  Also, the system already comes with Vista 64... no upgrade required.

I have one on order as well... same delivery date committed: 12/17.  I'm hoping it's conservative and that they'll be able to beat it.  Can't wait.

Jerry

6 Posts

December 1st, 2008 13:00

Same here, says it will ship by 12/17 and delivery by 12/24!! I am actually thinking about pulling the plug and getting something else because of the little 360W PSU. I have been reading and the HD 4850 says it needs a minimum of a 450W PSU. This really concerns me, anyone else?

6 Posts

December 1st, 2008 15:00

OP here, i read in a review for this Dell Studio XPS 435MT that the PSU didnt even come close to using the 350W at full load or something like that. Im still waiting for my computer to come in, just bought a new desk for it :D

Source: http://forum.desktopreview.com/showthread.php?p=2260986

delete this post if im not allowed to link other forums please.

6 Posts

December 1st, 2008 19:00

Here is what ATI states for power: http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4800/requirements.html

ATI Radeon™ HD 4850 System Requirements

• 450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
  • Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products

I really hope Dell knows what it's doing by putting an HD 4850 in there. I was on the phone to cancel and go to HP for a Q9550 build and have it at my door next week... but I was on hold over a half an hour, which gave me time to think a lot about it and decided to keep the order (really want the Dell i7).
I hope I will be able to swap out the PSU for something larger in the Dell.

29 Posts

Same here, says it will ship by 12/17 and delivery by 12/24!! I am actually thinking about pulling the plug and getting something else because of the little 360W PSU. I have been reading and the HD 4850 says it needs a minimum of a 450W PSU. This really concerns me, anyone else?

I wouldn't worry too much about the power supply.  See the link to the review above... it would be very hard to load up the system enough to blow past the 360W limit.  The PS rating you're referring to may apply to dual 4850's, which this system cannot support.

J.

29 Posts

Yup, quite right -- thanks for posting the link.  But, I'm keeping my order on track as well.  Definitely the best deal out there right now for an i7 based system.  Nothing else even comes close in terms of bang for the buck.  I suspect swapping out the PS could definitely be an option if that turns out to be an issue -- but no way to know for sure.

J.

December 2nd, 2008 07:00

In my experience, most Small Business orders I have ordered in the past were completed/shipped prior to scheduled ship date, however, I am in the same situation as you are re: Studio XPS (Intel i7)...  Frustrating in that this order was a Christmas present...   Does anyone know what MOBO is for the Studio XPS (Intel i7)?

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 07:00

Well, I guess Dec 24 could still be a Christmas gift... As for the Mobo I'm not sure what it is. I hear Dell uses proprietary hardware. That, and the small psu on top of the long wait time, I have decided to build my own with getting everything off newegg for pretty much the same price as the Dell. I can get the ASUS P6T Deluxe mobo and all the other top name brands like 6GB Corsair memory etc... This way I know exactly what is in my system and can be certain I will be able to do upgrades when the time comes.

I didn't think about building because I was reading that people were saying right now you couldn't build an i7 system for less than what Dell is offering. I guess that is true, but for the same price and expandability in the future, I think it's worth it.

No Events found!