Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2009 18:00

Memory Upgrade with 4Gb (2 x 2 sticks) but Win XP only seeing half that??

Hi there.   I've seen similar questions here and there in some of the forum topics but I have yet to see a definitive answer that I can understand.   I've a fairly well spec'd if somewhat aged (now) Dell XPS 600 desktop running Windows XP Media Edition with SP3 now loaded.   It came with 1GB (2 x 512mb) installed in bays 1 and 2 of 4 bays total.  I love online gaming despite my advancing years and slowing reflexes so I decided to treat myself and my machine to the best memory upgrade that I could afford (I thought)!

The original memory was running at 667MHz but as this machine has a FSB of 800 MHz I chose to replace the original with 2 x 2GB sticks of Dell's recommended memory for FSB's in the range of 600-800 MHz - buying 2 of part # SNPYG410C/2G - anticipating this would make my PC "fly".

The memory duely arrived in the post and swapping over was a doddle from the mechanical side of things I must say.  I switched the machine on again with real anticipation, and hit F2 at boot to enter the the system BIOS to check that the new RAM was being picked up there.  It was, so no problems - or so I thought.

However once the machine had posted and gone through the boot process I went into the control panel / system screen expecting to see the new RAM summarised there and was fairly disappointed (marked understatement) to see that only HALF of that new installation - just 2Gb - is apparently being recognised by Windows!!??

Can anyone please tell me why this is, and also if it can be addressed in any way (a BIOS upgrade or somesuch) so that all 4Gb gets recognition?

For those more technically able than I this is the summarised report in the control panel / system screen of Windows XP Media Edition that I now see:-

Dell Dimension 600,  Intel(R),  Pentium(R),  4 CPU 3.4GHZ,  3.39GHZ 2.00 GB of RAM,  Physical Address Extension. 

Kind Regards,

Steve_O2 

14.4K Posts

August 5th, 2009 19:00

You are running a 32 bit OS see HERE for info on memory usage in a 32 bit system

2.5K Posts

August 5th, 2009 23:00

Davet50 - I don't see it as a 32 bit problem.  With 4 GBytes of RAM he should see at least 3 GBytes

Dell Dimension 600,  Intel(R),  Pentium(R),  4 CPU 3.4GHZ,  3.39GHZ 2.00 GB of RAM,  Physical Address Extension.  I would next expect to see PAE either.

I would suggest running either Belarc Advisor or SIW, both free downloads to see if the system recognizes all the RAM installed.

11 Posts

August 6th, 2009 07:00

You are running a 32 bit OS see HERE for info on memory usage in a 32 bit system

Thanks for the speedy response here.  Was it your intention to include a link to something under the word "HERE" in your text though as that didn't come through.

Cheers,

Steve_O2

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

What kind of videocard setup do you have? If you have one or two videocards with a lot of memory, this ends up being deducted from the usable memory in your system. So, if you have a single card with 1GB or more, or even 2 cards with 512MB or more each, I could see being left with less than 3GB of usable memory.

11 Posts

Hi msgale,

Thank you also for the speedy reply.  Didn't expect that!

So you are of the opinion that perhaps Windows actualy IS seeing the additional memory (or at least a portion of it) and that these 'tools' you advise might confirm this one way or another,  I've come across Belaric Advisor in my time (think it was on the run-up to the wet blanket that was the turn of the century) but what is SIW please?

Thanks and regards,

Steve_O2

11 Posts

August 6th, 2009 08:00

Hello again Dev Mgr,

I was a little over enthusiastic with my estimate of the video card memory that I have in this machine, sorry!  The two SLI'd NVidia 6800 have a TOTAL memory installed of 512Mb (256Mb each) NOT the 512Mb for each card as I originally suggested.

Again my apologies,

Regards,

Steve_O2

11 Posts

August 6th, 2009 08:00

What kind of videocard setup do you have? If you have one or two videocards with a lot of memory, this ends up being deducted from the usable memory in your system. So, if you have a single card with 1GB or more, or even 2 cards with 512MB or more each, I could see being left with less than 3GB of usable memory.

Hi Dev Mgr,

There's a LOT MORE to this upgrade malarky than meets the unknowing eye isn't there?

F.y.i. I've TWO NVidia 6800 cards with 512Mb apiece in SLI mode.   So how does that impact my upgrade please?

Thanks and Regards,

Steve_O2

12 Posts

August 6th, 2009 09:00

Hi,

I just received my Vostro 1520 laptop two days ago. I'm having the same problem.

I have 2x2048MB installed on my machine - which should give 4096MB (4GB) in total. But somehow, Windows only detected as 2.99GB.

Here's the configuration: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 4096MB (2x2048) 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel, 256MB nVidia GeForce 9300m, Downgrade Windows Vista Business (32bit) to XP Pro with Vista and XP Media.

I've opened the lid to check - it is correctly 2x2GB installed.

Any idea where my 1GB gone?

Cheers,

Tengkar

11 Posts

August 6th, 2009 09:00

Hi tengkar,

Hey, at least you've got 1Gb MORE recognised than in my machine.  What's your secret - ha!  Pain init?   Sort of thing the makers of these PCs might get over to Joe Public in regular English (or whatever language of the country) so that we've some ken of what is and isn't possible to make our machines quicker/happier.  Doesn't appear to be the case though I feel.

:emotion-18:

Regards,

Steve_O2

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 6th, 2009 14:00

Hi,

I just received my Vostro 1520 laptop two days ago. I'm having the same problem.

I have 2x2048MB installed on my machine - which should give 4096MB (4GB) in total. But somehow, Windows only detected as 2.99GB.

Here's the configuration: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 4096MB (2x2048) 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel, 256MB nVidia GeForce 9300m, Downgrade Windows Vista Business (32bit) to XP Pro with Vista and XP Media.

I've opened the lid to check - it is correctly 2x2GB installed.

Any idea where my 1GB gone?

Cheers,

Tengkar

Tengkar

When you have a 32-bit system, this does not recognize 4gb of memory, 3gb± is all a 32bit system can address.

Basically what it means is, while you can install 4gb of memory in the system, the reason it’s not recognized is mainly due to 32-bit processors and/or 32-bit applications on memory address limitations.

64-bit processors and operating systems will recognize beyond the 32-bit limitation.

See HERE

Bev.

11 Posts

August 6th, 2009 15:00

Hi Bev,

Now that's both comprehensive and for the most part understandable.  Thank you very much for this.  :emotion-21:

It isn't something that companies selling the extra physical RAM let on about though is it - though I can understand why.  Somewhat unethical though I'd opine!

That said, is there any way one (I) can tweak my system to recognise as much as it is physically possible to given these (now explained) constraints of the 32Bit OS?

I used to use Compaq's "Mem maker" once upon an earlier time in desktop computing (X386 days), and that did something similar(ish) in that it allowed one to tweak the computers addressing system to utilise the memory between the 640kb and 1Mb range - "hi-mem" I think it was called - loading drivers etc into that area out of the otherwise stretched base 640kb.

Kind Regards,

Steve_O2

14.4K Posts

August 6th, 2009 16:00

The only way to make more RAM available to the operating system is to remove some hardware.

Kinda makes adding in more ram kinda useless

11 Posts

Hello again Davet50,

Ah-ha!  Now it becomes clear(rer)!  As I said in my recent reply to 'Bev.' (who linked in the same explanation page) this more or less explains the problem.

So there is very little it seems that we can do as it's the 'fault' of how the 32Bit OS addresses (and DOESN'T address) physical memory.  Mmmmm....   At least I'm far from being alone with THAT misunderstanding.   Again though - as per my recent response to 'Bev.' (above) - is there some way one can tweak some/any of the settings in Windows etc. so that at least the MAX of what is now available in our thoeretical 4Gb systems can get utilised effectively and to the full?

Kind Regards,

Steve_O2

8 Posts

The only way to make more RAM available to the operating system is to remove some hardware.

14.4K Posts

Oops forgot to insert the link try looking HERE

No Events found!