Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2009 13:00

Need to cancel delayed order...leaving the country for school!

Hello all! I'm posting here hoping to get some advice regarding my current situation. I ordered a Dell Studio XPS 16 on July 23rd 2009 and I was approved for Dell financing (I am a student and don't have the upfront money so financing was perfect) so no money has offically exchanged hands.  Now the problem is my ship date has been delayed from August 10th 2009 (which has subsequently passed) to September 3rd 2009 according to the CSR I corresponded with but I am set to the leave the country for school September 1st!

I have contacted Dell customer support and asked them for an update on my laptop and whether I could cancel my order due to Dell's delay issues. I figured over a month should be subsequent time to order a laptop and avoid the back to school rush but unfortunately I was wrong. It is compeltely unreasonable for Dell to not cancel my order when it is there own delay/part shortage issues that weren't stated at the time of purchase. I cannot leave it up to chance whether I will recieve my laptop in time and since Dell cannot give me an accurate shipping date I NEED this order cancelled ASAP!  It is completely unreasonable to expect the customer, myself in this instance, to not have the option to cancel an order because it is "in production" when they are waiting for parts neccessary to even complete production! Any information on how to cancel this order would be greatly appreciated! Please don't say just wait for it come and return it because I will not be in the country it was ordered from and it is not really an option!

Thank you!

Matt

7 Posts

August 15th, 2009 14:00

Ah that's what I thought you meant Mary! Thank you for the optimism :emotion-1: Hopefully someone from Dell sees this otherwise I'll have to try and keep calling Dell and get this resolved! 

7 Posts

Thank you for the reply Mary G but I have already explained my situation to customer service and the best the rep could do was say they will try their best to ship the order with no other info or options! That unforunately is completely unreasonable! I'm not sure what you mean that this is a user to user forum? Am I not allowed to ask for advice here?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

This is a user to user forum. You need to contact Customer Support again and explain the difficult situation.  It's almost impossible to cancel an order in production now, so you'll need to get some special help.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Sorry for all your trouble, but I wanted to make sure that you don't rely on the forum to solve this. We are all just users here and the forum is only occasionally monitored by Dell.  Call them again during regular business hours and see if you can get a supervisor. On the bright side, the computer could arrive next week. Sometimes the dates they post are way off. Good luck.

August 16th, 2009 01:00

I can definitely understand your frustration, Matt -- I'm having a similar problem.

Did you get an email about the delay? If so, it should have said something like:

Your order has been further delayed due to a supply shortage and we need your permission today to continue processing it (as required by the Federal Trade Commission).

ACTION REQUIRED: please contact us today (by 9pm CST tonight) to continue with your order that has a new Revised Estimated Delivery Date (see Revised Estimated Delivery Date below).

We must receive your permission today or your order will automatically be cancelled.

If you do NOT give them permission to extend the order, it is supposed to be automatically cancelled. The email I received also noted:

To obtain further information, or to cancel your order, please e-mail us at US_Dell_Notify@dell.com or call 1-877-868-3355.

It's an automated number (how I hate those!!!) but at least you can be on record as having instructed Dell to cancel the order. If you call or email Customer Service about this, be sure to refer to the FTC Mail Order Rule.

Good luck!

7 Posts

August 16th, 2009 07:00

Grannygamer I didn't recieve any email about the delay yet! My estimated shipping date still states August 10th 2009 and hasn't changed! I was hoping I would recieve an email but I'm pretty sure they aren't sending it out so I can't cancel! 

August 16th, 2009 11:00

Grannygamer great comment about the Trade Commission would only apply if your within the USA.  I am not sure if you are inside the USA so it is possible that you may not have the same rights according to Dell.

I am in Canada and just ordered a Mini 10 and they say it will be delivered by September 10th.  That is a very long time and I need it for a trip on September 27th.  If during the order they said OUT OF STOCK or gave me some indication of a delay I wouldn't have placed the order.

However as I am not doing any type of financing I have more options to get out of it such as notifying Visa. If they take to long and just telling Visa to cancel the payment due to no-delivery of service under the terms of the September 10th delivery contract.

That said I cam calling first thing on Monday to see what the story is and if I get any positive news I will be sure to share it here for all to read.

Best of luck... 

Joe

7 Posts

August 16th, 2009 12:00

I am in Canada as well Joe! And I completely agree about not placing the order had I known about shortages or delays! Frankly this sort of business practice is appauling. I'm giving it a few more days to see if there is an update in production or whether they give me a new/accurate shipping estimate otherwise I'm going to call and call and email until I recieve a satisifactory outcome. 

7 Posts

August 18th, 2009 07:00

They still refuse to cancel this order and it is getting ridiculous! If this laptop ships after I have left the country and after repeated attempts to cancel this order I will be furious. 

452 Posts

August 18th, 2009 08:00

Matt

Try this number: 1-800-247-2076   Option #2 It worked for me in April but I live in USA..

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 18th, 2009 13:00

Matthew.M,

Sorry for the problems you are having trying to cancel your order.  Could you please contact me by Private Conversation?  Just click on "contact" below, then "start a private conversation with Dell-Robert P.  I'll see what I can get done.  Thanks

Regards,

Robert

7 Posts

August 18th, 2009 19:00

I sent you a private conversation request Robert hope to hear back from you soon! Thank you.

Matt

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 19th, 2009 08:00

Matt,

I sent you a reply.  Thanks for the info.

-Robert

No Events found!