Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2009 07:00

New here, with a bit of a rant

I bought a Dell laptop, the Inspiron 1520, and I am quite impressed with it and how it met my needs, but every time I have called tech support, I have the same problem, I am calling a call centre in India. This isn't a problem for most people, however, for me it is a huge problem. I have an auditory processing disorder, and for a lot of the problems I have ruun into, it is easier to get them sorted out over the phone. What this disorder does is make it more difficult for me to interpret what anyone is saying. I typically have to have a person who is fluent in English without an accent repeat things at least once for me to understand what they are saying, once an accent is thrown into the mix, I can almost never decipher what they are sying. Unless there is some way I can speak to a person without an accent to their English, I doubt I will buy Dell again. I will probably end up going with Toshiba, despite their product being inferior, simply because whenever I have had to call their tech support, I have had a native speker of the language, and I have been able to understand them with less difficulty. I am not actually against outsourcing call centres, as long as there are alternatives for people who have such auditory problems where understanding people is difficult enough without an accent creating an additional barrier.

3.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2009 08:00

Hi padium, It does not matter where you live, dell support is in India, even for us here in the UK. If you have access to a computer, then you could always try email support. I have seen posts on the accents problem, that people in the US do have trouble understanding other amercians. You cant blame the asians because of their accents.

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 09:00

The problem isn't with the accent itself, it is with the fact that I have difficulty interpretting any form of sound, and accents just make that difficulty harder to work with. I don't need to call tech support often, but when I do, I like to be able to understand what a person is saying. I am working on getting into the field myself, but what I will be doing will have minimal over the phone, and will be primarily in person. If I am in person, I can at least lip read to figure it out a little better. If there were a way to use ASL over the phone, that would be the easiest route.

9.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2009 09:00

padium,

Sorry you are having difficulties understanding the technicians.  Have you tried using the chat feature?  That way you don't have to speak or listen to the technicians and it is in real time. 

Here's the link:   http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/chat/en/hardware_chat?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Regards,

Robert

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2009 10:00

I wasn't aware that was an option. When it comes to warrenty usage, is it the same as over the phone, as typically, the only things I call for are when I know something has broken and is under warrenty, as most warrenties are void if you start fiddling with the hardware, and that I would not want to fiddle with laptop hardware too much anyways, as no two machines are built the same.

No Events found!