Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2008 12:00

Not connection to Internet

Desktop Inspiron 530 connected to Internet via Motorola Surfboard SBG900 Wireless Gateway Modem.  My son's Dell Inspiron 1521(with factory installed 802.11g and 802.11b cards) The Surfboard has a built in Router.  My son gets connect from some modem close by but not mine. He should be able to connect from my modem????? Help 

799 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 12:00

Hello scbeach, Let me see if I understand. You say you are connected to the Motorola Surfboard SBG900 Wireless Gateway Modem.

Is the with an ethernet cat5 cable, or wireless connection from your desktop system?

If you have not installed the wireless software for the Motorola Surfboard SBG900 Wireless Gateway Modem on your system, he want be able to connect, but if he is close enough to another wireless system that is not encripted, he very well could connect.

The Motorola Surfboard SBG900 Wireless Gateway Modem will connect via a cat5 cable and work without any software, but not wireless.

If you have installed the software, you would need to shut all the systems down that are connected to the Motorola Surfboard SBG900 Wireless Gateway Modem, either wired or wireless and power off the modem.

Leave it powered off for at least 10-20 seconds to let any data or voltages to be blead off, re-power the modem, and after all the lights stop blinking and settle down, about 3-4 minutes, boot up the PC systems one at a time and see if you have a connection.

These things can be tricky, so you must have patience to achieve your goal.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!