Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 28th, 2008 15:00

Optiplex 260 Mini Twr Video Card install

New member here.

I want to install an upgrade AGP Video Card to an Optiplex 260 Mini Tower and have read several posts on this forum but cannot get a definitive consensus of whether to let the system find the "new" vid card without un-installing old onboard driver. Also cannot find any info regarding GDDR2 vs DDR comparison and if either will work on my Mini Tower. Do I gain anything from using 512mb over 256mb on this machine?  I tried Dell Support and several "Techs" gave me poor, and bad, suggestions as to what I needed.  You folks are so much sharper too!!!

Operating WinXP Pro

2gig ram

3-hard drives with total 600gig (one external)

A09 Bios update

SP3

3.4K Posts

November 28th, 2008 17:00

Hello,

Looking at the BIOS settings on that system, it looks as though a new video card will be seen automatically.

• Primary Video Controller — When video is integrated on the system board, the options are Auto (default) and Onboard.

When an AGP card is used, the options are AGP (default) and Auto.

Set the video to auto and install the video card.

Very poorly written BIOS instructions thou, and I can't tell if there are two video option lines or one that changes. As long as AUTO is set you will not be locked out because of a video failure with the new card.

This is what I think, but your mileage may vary. :emotion-15:

3 Posts

November 29th, 2008 05:00

Thanks Darrell for your help.  Your "Two Cents" are very well received . . .

I think I replied to your post but I hit 'enter' instead of the shift bar and not sure where the message went.  In it I asked if you would care to comment on my other questions regarding card memory - 512 vs 256 - and whether gddr3 or ddr make much difference for my machine.  I believe my system is rated for ddr but it's difficult finding a card that can work for the 260 with all the bells and whistles that are required to make this thing sing.

Thanks again

Fred

3.4K Posts

November 29th, 2008 06:00

Hello,

The memory specs for the GX260 can be found here.

DDR2 and DDR3 will not fit in your system. You can see why it will not fit, along with all the different memory descriptions with pictures at the memory pages of my web site linked below. The vast majority of users here suggest Crucial memory for there Dell upgrades. Since Dell computers are very picky with memory chips you need to only buy chips that are listed for your specific model number. This picky nature of Dell computers with memory is also explained on my memory pages.

3 Posts

November 29th, 2008 07:00

Thanks again Darrell you've been very helpful.

Fred

No Events found!