Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2008 16:00

Processor overheating??

In my event viewer I keep seeing two errors for the processor,

The speed of processor 1 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 1562 seconds since the last report. and

The speed of processor 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 1562 seconds since the last report.

I get them every day, and I'm at a loss, any suggestions?

November 19th, 2008 18:00

Im no genius in these matters but the heat sink and fan mey be faulty, also there is a silver based paste that should be applied between the processor and the heatsink base when installed. Also might check your Firmware to see whats installed and maybe its conflicting with cpu function.

3.6K Posts

November 19th, 2008 19:00

Are you running mcafee

3.6K Posts

Are you running mcafee

3.6K Posts

Are you running mcafee on your

3.6K Posts

Are you running mcafee on

3.6K Posts

Are you running mcafee on your system?... 

Don't ask what happened with all these replies because i don't know,i clicked the post button once?....

2 Posts

November 19th, 2008 20:00

Are you running mcafee on your system?... 

no I'm not running McAfee, and this only happens when my system is running WoW or FFXI (world of warcraft and final fantasy 11) and it heats up. same time i get those messages i also have a problem with my display driver. it will completely stop like 2 -3 times in a 5 min time span

3.6K Posts

November 19th, 2008 21:00

You need to update your GPU driver.

As far as the CPU problem,i can't come up with anything yet.All my searches are reffering to IBM's with this problem.

2 Posts

November 19th, 2008 22:00

If you have a laptop it should not register 2 processors ...weird

If your fan is runing make sure it is unobstructed (sits on hard surface) and gently blow out dust and junk out of areas that air is supposed to flow

You may consider resetting your BIOS as well

January 11th, 2010 09:00

Many laptops have duel core processors these will register as two processors. I had the processors are being limited warnings in my event logs of my Inspiron 1521 laptop and sometimes it would shut down suddenly by itself, especially when running a graphic intensive game. Even though the vents seemed clear from the outside when I opened the laptop case to expose the fan and heatsink, I discovered the inside of the vents, which is also the heatsink was clogged with heavy dust. This was causing the processor to overheat. After removing the dust the laptop was back to normal with no more processor limiting messages. Blowing the vents from the outside would not have worked as there is nowhere for the dust to go if you blow it except back into the fan, ready to blow back into the vents as soon as you turn the computer back on, if you have this problem your only option is to open the laptop case and remove the dust manually. I was suprised that my Dell laptop did not have any warnings about overheating in the event logs, only the processor is being limited by system firmware ones,

No Events found!