Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2010 16:00

Reinstalled Windows Xp on Inspiron 6000.....Goofed A Little, Need Some Things Installed

Hello,

I am new here. Someone gave me an old Dell Inspiron 6000, not in stellar shape but it at least runs. It was full of spyware and errors so I installed Windows XP Pro and figured after installation, install the drivers, easy task I thought.

Runs a bit better BUT I don't have internal WIFI, using a usb adapter for now.

In the Control Panel, The Device Manager says I need:

• Ethernet Controller
  • Network Controller
  • PCI Device
  • SM Bus Controller
  • Video Controller
  • Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I guess that's all I need and system will be up and working. I just want it these drivers installed so I get some use out of the machine until I get a new one.

Whatever help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2010 16:00

trikkedaddy,

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first(if applicable), then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

:emotion-55: Hint :emotion-55: When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2010 17:00

trikedaddy,

Actually, before you upgrade to XP Pro, you'll need to install the origional operating system that was on the computer. The COA should bo on the computer somewhere.

Rick

January 18th, 2010 17:00

So there is no way to right the wrong in this case? I got confused at this way of doing things so do you mean to make this right, I should re-reinstall XP Pro then follow your guide and go through the driver installs one by one  in order, right?

January 20th, 2010 08:00

I Don't have the original XP OS for this machine, only have XP Professional pack 1. Right now, I don't even feel like bothering more with this sickly laptop. Using a USB adapter for wifi, there is a short in the power adapter jack, gonna save money for a new computer in the future.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 30th, 2010 09:00

mschribr,

The desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers need to be installed first, or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

1 Message

I had a similar problem with my inspiron 6000. My hard drive crashed. The inspiron was dead. I got a new 120GB hard drive. I needed to install windows xp again. I did not have the original windows xp cd. A friend gave me a windows xp home edition. After I installed windows, device manager showed devices with question marks. I used my Linksys cd to install drivers for my Linksys router. Then I was able to connect to my router via usb and I was able to connect to the internet. Then I went to the Microsoft windows update site. The Microsoft windows update site told me which drivers I was missing. I downloaded the drivers from Microsoft windows update site. Now my inspiron is fine. Device manager still has question marks next to Ethernet controller and network controller. I hope this helps.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

If that friend's Windows XP Home is *not* from Dell, it will be useless to you since you won't be able to activate it with Microsoft.

No Events found!