Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2009 04:00

Restoring XP with cd

I have a C521 which won't start : missing or corrupted file \windows\system32\config\system

Dell have sent me an operating system cd (as one wasn't provided with the original system). How can I reinstall without losing all my data? My backups were a bit out of date. All the data I need is in my documents folder. Would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 27th, 2009 04:00

You can try the XP "Repair" option.  That MAY get you going and not lose any data.  Otherwire, you will have to do a complete reinstall - reformat the hard drive then (1) Install Windows (2) install chipset drivers (3) install Device Drivers.  Along with the Operating System CD, you will also need the Drivers and Utilities CD or download the needed drivers from the Dell downloads  HERE

Many new/newer Dell's also come with a Dell Recovery Partition on the Hard Drive (one reason you did not get the install CD) and that will restore your PC to the original factory condition (but delete your user data).  CTRL/F11 at initial boot up will access the Dell Recovery Partiton.

THIS is the Microsoft instructions on the Windows XP Repair procedure.  Try this first.

Finally many do not do any type of backups and at least the user data should be periodically backed up (how often depends on how often the user data changes).  Cases like this is when you need the backup.  Keep in mind backups are not for IF you ever need it, but for WHEN you need it.

7 Posts

April 27th, 2009 18:00

I just reinstalled XP too but I had so much on my computer I had to buy an external hard drive that plugs into a USB port and you can copy your personal stuff like documents, photos,videos, data files like Word documents, my documents etc., but they told me no programs so you'd have to have all your  installation CD's....unless they are ones you can download from the web. 

That external hard drive was about  $150.00 for 750 gigs at Altex Electronics in San Antonio TX - Buffalo brand - USB 2.0 Model.  Very easy to use you can either copy or send to it and it has a power savings mode that reduces energy useage about 75%. 

They also have online services you can buy to store your data for a backup but you are better off with an external hard drive I think.  I'm not a computer person but I have a friend who is and that's what he told me to do.

Good luck

Rhonda

If you don't have any driver disc from Dell you can download them off their Driver website by putting in your computer ID and it tells you what drivers you need....that 7 digit alpha numeric number assigned to you.  If you are still under warranty you can have support help you but if not it's pretty easy to do yourself.

No Events found!