Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2010 13:00

Sales Tax Holiday

I just ordered a Studio 14 laptop and it is a sales tax holiday here in Tennesse, but my order still shows sales tax.  I am disappointed that a big technology company like Dell can't get their act together to have an accurate invoicefor me to look at.  I am left wondering if I will be  charged for tax  when I should not be.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 6th, 2010 17:00

Hi Rickon66,

Did you call customer service?

3 Posts

August 6th, 2010 17:00

I have called everyone I can think of, I have talked to customer support in India twice, El Salvador, and even here in Tennesse and no one has given me a concrete answer.  I am about to cancel the Dell and order from HP, they have their web site set up with no tax charged this weekend.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 10th, 2010 05:00

rickon66,

Information on the Sales Tax Holiday can be found here:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=176241ABE9E4DFA6E0401E0A55176988

If your purchase meets the criteria from that page, then you may need to contact the State Comptroller's office in Tennessee:  http://tennessee.gov/revenue/salestaxholiday/   Questions? Consumers and retailers can call (800) 342-1003, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Time or e-mail Salestax.Holiday@tn.gov.

Regards,
Robert

3 Posts

August 10th, 2010 09:00

I should not have to jump through hoops to get something that the other retailers have set up automatically.  I checked out HP, Best Buy, etc and their web sites showed zero tax when you ordered.  I can't understand why a corporation as large and who is supposed to be a "TECHNOLOGY" company can't program the zero tax into the order system so that you know from the getgo what you are being charged. 

19 Posts

August 11th, 2010 17:00

rickon66,

You are not alone.  I ordered a computer on Saturday which is right in the middle of North Carolina's tax holiday.  The webpage for the order stated that if I was eligible for a sales tax holiday waiver that it would be reflected on the invoice.  In the meantime, Dell sent me a confirmation of the order with the sales tax included and no mention of the sales tax holiday waiver.  So, today I called the order status department and got bounced around until I reached India where someone accepted responsibility for the question. 

I asked for something in writing from Dell that would acknowledge that I would not be charged sales tax if I was eligible for a tax holiday waiver.  The representative went to check on this and said that I was in fact eligible for the sales tax waiver and that it would be refunded within 30 days of shipment.   I told him that is not what the order form said and that I wanted Dell to acknowledge in writing that I would not be billed for the sales tax, rather than his version which is first I'm billed and then I wait 30 days for a refund. He said that he could not provide anything in writing. After hanging on for about 10 minutes through more 'research' breaks while he checked on something I told him that I wanted to talk to his supervisor who presumably has the authority to to issue an e-mail with Dell's order form wording..  He disappeared again and then said that his supervisor would call within 4 hours. 

After hanging up with India I searched and searched through the Dell website for something that indicated the same conditions under which the order was placed.  I went around in circles from link to link.  Finally, I used Google to find what I wanted which might also satisfy your needs as well - a Dell webpage that spelled out the policy, including:

"If your purchases qualify for a state sales tax holiday, your invoice will not reflect tax."   BINGO

The URL for this page is:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=176241ABE9E4DFA6E0401E0A55176988

The incompetence of the people on the phone is remarkable and makes life infinitely more difficult than it has to be.  Instead of giving me a song and dance they should have been able to point me to the proper webpage thereby satisfying my request for confirmation that the invoice will not include sales tax which should have been part of the automatic response from Dell.  This is just third world banana republic stuff.

58 Posts

August 12th, 2010 05:00

After hanging up with India I searched and searched through the Dell website for something that indicated the same conditions under which the order was placed.  I went around in circles from link to link.  Finally, I used Google to find what I wanted which might also satisfy your needs as well - a Dell webpage that spelled out the policy, including:

Did you even read the reply from the Dell Moderator?  Looks like the same link is posted in that reply.  :emotion-21:

This is just third world banana republic stuff.  :emotion-59:

19 Posts

August 12th, 2010 06:00

Did you even read the reply from the Dell Moderator?  Looks like the same link is posted in that reply. 

I did not look at the forum or even join until after going through the nonsense with the telephone support.  When I did join I only quickly scanned the last comments and did not see anything that said Yup, that's it.  So I plunged ahead.  Perhaps the telephone support people should be required to read these forums before wasting customer's time. 

Bottom line - this is gross incompetence on Dell's part and a serious design flaw in their automatic e-mail confirmation. :emotion-45:

No Events found!