Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2014 11:00

The Dell website has SERIOUS ISSUES.

I have purchased several Dell products over the past few years, but the most recent purchase through the website has raised some terrifying red flags.  It took me 5 days just to figure out how to post something in an attempt to reach someone who works for Dell.  Do none of the Dell employees ever use their website?  How does a company like Dell allow this kind of neglect?  I can barely navigate because of all of the pop-up ads.  I spend my life on the computer, I'm not a novice, I understand the pop-up blocker functions.  I have to actually raise the settings to the highest one, just to keep the page from being constantly redirected.  Customer Support chat NEVER WORKS.  I got kicked off 8 times in an attempt to pay for my last order, I was directed to a broken URL, and when I tried to return to the previous page, it had expired & I had to log back in, find my order & try again.  Finally, on the 4th PC I tried to use to pay, I got it to work.  I had to apply for Dell Business Credit 4 times before it allowed me to actually use the account for payment.  I wouldn't be surprised if it dinged my credit each time.  There's no way to contact Dell through the website to address technical issues.  Several of the links direct you to a 3rd party tech services website.  The page is littered with ads & spam.  The fact that I have payment information saved on the Dell.com website is terrifying after this experience.  I feel like I'm on shady site, not on the site that is the face of an international computer company.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 20th, 2014 16:00

You may be infected with malware.  What you describe is not typical of a visit to the "real" Dell.com.  I have also spent the better part of 3 days on Dell.com assembling a large quote for a business and have not experienced what you describe.  The only "pop-up" I have seen is the occasional "do you want to chat with someone for assistance" window (no more than once per browsing session) and maybe one or two "do you want to fill out a survey about your visit" offers.  Definitely nothing like you describe. 

There is a virus/malware forum for this type of discussion, IF you need assistance sorting it out.

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 10:00

My wife also attempted to complete the order from her desktop at the second location, with the same results, but she wasn't as persistent as I was.  Thank you for responding, it makes me feel a lot better knowing someone is listening.

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 10:00

Thanks TheFlash1932.  One of the laptops used in the attempts to place the order was indeed infected with a parasitic program called SearchSnacks, that keeps reinstalling itself after being uninstalled.  Eventually I was able to block it with Kaspersky.  The ad banners that appeared on the Dell website were a product of that program, and that was the laptop I was on when establishing a Dell Community account.  The initial order however, was placed on a different laptop that is not infected.  The links to other sites for tech assistance, the links to complete a survey about my experience with Dell.com, the bad URLs that I was directed to when trying to chat with a CSA, & pay for my order, were all issues on that laptop, as well as a desktop at a different location.  Raising the pop up blocker settings seemed to help reduce the direction to 3rd party sites, but it didn't help with broken internal links of Dell.com for tech assistance or chat, and is not due to a virus or malware on my end.  The repeated attempts to pay for my order, in which there were errors with the web page, and I was asked to "try again later," was also not due to a virus or malware on one of my PCs.  The fact that I used 3 different PCs at 2 different locations with the same results, indicates issues with the Dell.com website itself.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2014 12:00

Again, there should be no redirection to third-party sites or ads for third-party support.

Chat seems to work just fine for me right now and did all of last week when I used it ...  perhaps you caught the site during a temporary outage or maybe you are using an outdated browser or plugin (if something like Flash is required).

Thank you for responding, it makes me feel a lot better knowing someone is listening.

I'm not a Dell employee - I am a user like you (this is primarily a user forum) - but a major site like Dell.com engaging in the type of practices you describe (popups, third-party redirection, third-party support ads) is ridiculous.  I'm not calling you ridiculous or doubting what you said happened, just that Dell.com doesn't work that way, and while it definitely is not the most stable or easy-to-navigate platform in the universe, it is certainly not a malware portal.

Good luck!

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 12:00

We got pretty heated too.  It's funny, there's actually a Facebook profile devoted to complaints about Dell called Dell Computers.  So we're obviously not alone.  I do, however, live extremely close to Dell Headquarters.  So spare parts, and fast (in person) tech assistance is easily available to me.  I expect there to be problems with such a large company, everything can't be perfect all the time.  I was just really surprised to have that much trouble ordering almost $3k worth of Dell products.  We shouldn't have to struggle that much to spend our money on their products.  Hopefully, someone in a place to make a difference, notices the glitches & fixes them.  I played airsoft with Michael Dell's personal chef, maybe I should talk to him.  :-)

1 Message

September 25th, 2014 22:00

Thanks. Now i don't even have to ask the question :)

No Events found!