Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2009 18:00

Tracking "Data Temporarily Unavailable"

I ordered a new Wacom system early yesterday morning, and the order status page still says tracking number "Data Temporarily Unavailable." It's been well over 24 hours, the order shows as "shipped," and I received the shipping confirmation email telling me to go to my order page to get tracking information. :emotion-7:

I really need to track this package to make sure I'm home when it's delivered.

1.1K Posts

March 11th, 2009 18:00

Don't wait for the tracking number as sometimes it may never appear.  If you really need to know, get your order number that you received when you purchased the Wacom system,  then call Customer Service....1-800-624-9897.    Try your best to get through all the prerecorded junk and speak to an actual human being.  Usually the trick is when the recorded voice asks for your order number just say you don't have it.  This will force the system to give you to a live rep.  If you supply your order number then they'll give you the automated order status machine and it'll say, "your order has shipped and tracking information will be available as soon as it's at the shippers main depot." 

Tell them you need the shipping company and tracking number and they should be able to supply it with your order number.  I have done this with my last 4 Dell purchases.  I, too, had the "data temporarily unavailable" mumbo jumbo.  In fact, I received my orders and it still showed that after delivery, so it might never appear.

5 Posts

March 12th, 2009 16:00

Thank you for replying!

My main concern was the estimated delivery date of 3/19 for an order that was "shipped" on 3/10, with a transit time of "3-5 business days." According to my calendar, that would mean delivery between 3/13 and 3/16, and I want to make sure I'm here, as Dell boxes have been left on my doorstep in the past.

I called the number you gave (thank you again), waded through the "music," the advice, one operator, more advice, another operator, and finally a customer service rep who gave me an INVALID FedEx tracking number.

I give up! LOL I'll just stay home until the order gets here. :-P

1.1K Posts

March 12th, 2009 17:00

That is weird with the shipping.  I figure 3-5 days should put it between the 13th and 16th, which is exactly what you have written.  So we are in agreement there. 

I would ask how they could give an invalid ups number, but it's Dell Customer Service.  With stuff I have been reading, it's not all that uncommon.

My guess, if you have my type of luck, you should get it tomorrow.  On all 7 of my Dell orders I got them 3 days after they shipped.  So tomorrow!

5 Posts

March 12th, 2009 17:00

I edited my previous post: The number given to me was for FedEx, not UPS. I did, however, go to the correct website to input that number (it's been a long day).

I'm hoping my new Wacom will be delivered tomorrow, too -- my current one seems to know it's being replaced, and is dying fast. Like you, I've had very good experiences with quick deliveries from Dell; my last computer arrived within 4 days of shipping, and it was a custom order. I've also had good results from customer service, most of the time. The reason I remain an avid Dell customer is because their products and most services are 90% terrific. I guess we just have to grin and bear that other 10%.

5 Posts

March 12th, 2009 19:00

The Wacom arrived about an hour after my previous post.

Via UPS. :emotion-4:

(The tracking number on the box and invoice in no way even remotely resembled the number given to me by the Dell rep on the phone.)

It's installed and working fine.

1.1K Posts

March 13th, 2009 06:00

Glad to hear you got it! :emotion-1:

81 Posts

September 19th, 2009 17:00

I just today learned of a work-around for this unacceptable lack of tracking information days after items bought and paid for through Dell Outlet have supposedly shipped. Dell outlet apparently usually or always uses FedEx.

To track your shipment:
1) Go to FedEx's website and search by reference number.
2) You should have been given an order number in the email from Dell stating that your order has shipped. Enter your order number as the reference number and complete the destination country and zip code (you can leave the ship date as-is unless your order shipped over 15 days ago). You can leave the account number field blank.
3) Click "track".

That worked for me. Meanwhile three days after I received an email from Dell Outlet stating that my item had shipped, where my tracking information should be, it STILL says "Data Temporarily Unavailable" .

Come on Dell Outlet! Don't you want happy customers? And Dell is supposedly a leader in direct online sales?

81 Posts

September 19th, 2009 20:00

Here is the page you would use at fedex.com:

https://www.fedex.com/AltRefTracking?cntry_code=us

4 Posts

September 25th, 2009 21:00

Just wanted to say this thread was very helpful! I just bought a refurb and had the same "data unavailable" message. I followed the above Fed-Ex link and entered my info. Now I know my system will arrive on Monday.

Thanks again

Mike

4 Posts

January 9th, 2010 18:00

If that don't work and Dell has shipped via UPS ..

1) Look up the 'Waybill Number' in your online invoice.

2) On UPS.com enter 1Z as the tracking #. e.g. 1Z1234567890 if 1234567890 is the Waybill Number on invoice.

Works with Items shipped with UPS.

1 Message

September 1st, 2011 05:00

This worked for me as well!

Thanks.

No Events found!